Spell Check Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meds, Jun 16, 2010.

1. meds macrumors newbie

I am fairly new to the Mac world, but thus far have been pleased.

I'm using the native Mac Mail application, and I have a question regarding how the spell check feature works.

I currently have my preference set to have spelling checked when I send.

Mail not only spell-checks the text I've typed, but also the content of the forwarded text as well.

Is there any way to avoid this? I'm not keen on having to spell-check other people's mistakes :)

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The spell checker can't tell the difference between text you typed or text you quoted. If it's in the same document, spell checking will be applied to the whole document.

3. meds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick feedback. A real bummer - you would think the app wouldn't be designed to facilitate editing someone else's information.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How exactly could that happen? As I said, there's no difference between the Mail app quoting an email that you're replying to and you typing "something that someone else said" in a new email. Software isn't designed to read your mind... yet. As spinnerlys suggested, just ignore the spelling suggestions that relate to the quoted email.

5. meds thread starter macrumors newbie

Relax.

Outlook and Entourage both ignore any quoted text below a new message. Really not that complex an issue. Apparently Mac Mail doesn't work the same way.