spell check red underscore doesn't work like PC??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tchrmgr, Sep 17, 2008.

1. tchrmgr macrumors newbie

Newbie here, Forgive if in wrong forum. I'm teaching a student who has MAC leopard with MAC Word 2004. (I'm new to MAC!) On a PC when you get the squiggly red line underscore on a word that is misspelled, you can right click on a pop up with possible options appears right in the doc. On the MAC I can't figure out how to do something similar without having to go up to the main tool bar, clicking on Tools and then getting the spell checker. Can anyone help me out? Appreciate it!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome. It's Mac.

You should still be able to right-click and a menu will pop up with a list of the suggested words.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's the same -- you just have to know how to right click.

If you're...

1) Using a mouse with only one button and no scroll ball on it... press and hold the ctrl key and then click the mouse button to "right click."

2) Using a mouse with a scroll ball -- this is the Mighty Mouse. Just lift up your index finger and click the right half of the mouse with your second finger -- that's a right click. (1) also works though.

3) If you're using an older Mac laptop (iBook, Powerbook), you may have to do the same as (1) with the trackpad button.

4) If you're using a newer Mac laptop, you can also get a right click by tapping the trackpad with two fingers instead of one.

P.S. Please say "Mac" and not "MAC" ... MAC refers either to a cosmetics company or a media access control address.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) It's Mac not MAC.

2) If I right click on a misspelt word in Word on my Mac it gives me suggestions for the correct spelling. You need to be more clear in your request for help: are you unable to right click (try holding control and clicking) or are there no suggestions?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Ctrl + Click if you have a one button mouse or trackpad
    2. Right click on your multi-button mouse
    3. Enable "Tap trackpad with two fingers for secondary click" if you have a trackpad

Attached Files:

6. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

One thing ... it's a Mac, not a MAC, which is an acronym that stands for something completely different.

I'm running Word 2004 under Leopard, and right clicking on a mis-spelled word does, indeed, bring up a list of alternatives.

The only thing I can think of is that you haven't got the right-click enabled on the Mac's mouse, which you turn on as shown under System Preferences:

Screenshot.jpg

If that doesn't help, let me know and see if i can think of anything else ...

Cheers!

Jim

7. tchrmgr thread starter macrumors newbie

spell check with Mac mouse

Wow! Who knew? Thanks to you all. I knew there was a way! More idiotic questions to follow, I'm sure. Stand by! Again, my sincere thanks.

8. tchrmgr thread starter macrumors newbie

While we're on the subject of newbie questions...

Can any of you direct me to a good, free, online tutorial for Word 2004? I've stumbled onto a few sites but they only provide teaser mini-lessons (they want you to buy a product, of course.) I'm looking for something for someone who has virtually no word processing experience.

My student is a physically-challenged teenager in a wheelchair, with limited mobility but he can operate a keyboard with little difficulty. He has this beautiful shiny new Mac (leopard) desktop and I'm trying to orient him with it as best I can (being a PC user myself). One thing I have discovered, to his great delight, is the Speech application. At last, this young man, unable to speak because of a permanent trach tube and ventilator, can finally communicate! For him and his family, this is nothing short of a miracle. FYI, Leopard features the new and improved male voice, Alex (?)! But I digress....
    Thanks to all!