spell check weirdness with the word "doesn't"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by obdave, Jul 6, 2009.

1. obdave macrumors member

OK, so this have been driving me crazy. Every now and then I'll type an email, and the word doesn't sometimes gets flagged by the spell check. I thought maybe I was using the wrong apostrophe, but that's not it. I've tried typing doesnt and letting spell check correct it to doesn't . It will accept that, and then subsequent doesn'ts seem to be OK. This is mostly in Mail that I notice this behavior.

Here's a little collection of doesn'ts for you.

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, I find contraction can sometimes confuse the spell checker. I think I had a problem with "doesn't" before, but not currently in Firefox. I think Safari's spellchecker was the one that had more issues, but I generally just add the word when it annoys me.

3. obdave thread starter macrumors member

It just did it again. I've had my Mac for over a year now and this never used to happen. I wonder if a spell check bug was introduced with one of the recent updates.

I'm seeing it mostly in Mac mail, but doesn't the Mac use the same spell checker everywhere?

Attached Files:

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Only the Cocoa (Safari, Mail, iWork, etc.) applications. Firefox implemented its own spellchecker that is kept separate from the OS.

5. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

yeh it happens to me too. I'm bad about typing contractions without apostrophes in general. Just a texting mentality i guess.

I notice that when i type arent that it does give me aren't as an option when i spell check it