Spell Check While Typing Not Working in Certain programs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drlieber, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Drlieber macrumors newbie

Hello,

For the past few weeks (maybe months) I've been experiencing a problem with my spell check while typing feature. Up until this evening I could even have it checked off in Adium, but after I downloaded the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.5 file (something someone suggested in another thread) the spelling options are all greyed out completely. I have restarted Adium a few times to try to fix it to no avail.

The checker works fine in Safari, but when I use Adium it doesn't work. I found a thread on another site that suggested moving one of the Dictionary files to the desktop, and also holding option, command, p and r down at the same time. That second tip seemed to work a while ago, but since then I can't get it to work again.

I read somewhere that the spell check was messed up because of one of the recent apple updates. Does anyone else know how to fix the problem? I feel like I've had it in other programs too I just can't think of them at the moment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

check in the Preferences for each individual program for that feature to enable or disable. not all apps on the mac have that feature integrated. im pretty sure that all OS X apps by apple on the mac have this feature integrated. but third party company most of the time do not have this built in.

3. randfee2 macrumors regular

randfee2

were you able to resolve this problem? I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Usually it worked, also in Adium.... now it does not anymore even though it is turned on in adium!

[​IMG]

it must be something else...

edit: I just restarted Adium and it works again, I don't get it. Apparently these applications seem to "lose" the ability to spell check every once in a while for no obvious reason....