Spelling correction

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aicul, Nov 1, 2013.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Seems the spelling correction cannot learn. Let me explain.

When one writes a word, Apple will propose the corrected version, but of course we cannot expect this to be exact. So one says "no" by pressing the "x" next to the word (example here is mail). Only to see Apple re-correct the word again.

Or Apple corrects the word on the fly, you notice this, go back and set it right, then .. wham ... Apple re-corrects back to what was not exact.

Seems that Apple corrector does not have a learn function, or it is not activated.

I tried looking in Mail preferences and System Preferences but do not seem to have found the right spot.

Anyone has advice on how to manage the above, or more ?

2. eldho macrumors member

I also used to find this very annoying but found that if you go back having already done some more text and correct the world without putting a new space after the word it leaves the correction that you have done. And for learning you use the three key combination command-shift-: all simultaneously to bring up the spell check which also gives you the option to tell it to learn the word. You can also write the word in the spell check directly to tell it to learn it there. Hope this works for you - I just checked to see that this is indeed still working for me with Mavericks.

3. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok found this for Mail, so I can teach it words. But am going quite confused because I cannot seem to find a list of all the words I have taught the dictionary.

I as this because my first tests were crazy so I taught the speller things like "sdfsdd" is ok and I would like to delete these entries.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is saved in a file called LocalDictionary in the below folder. Open finder then hit shift-command-g and paste the below text in then enter. You can use TextEdit to edit entries or just delete the whole file then logout and back in to start over.

Code:
    ~/Library/Spelling/

5. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great that did the job. Somehow surprised that something quite key to everyday usage would be so out-of-access.

I actually did a Alias on this file and put the alias in the Documents folder for easy access.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree... you would think they would have a GUI interface to handle this.