Spending More Time Watching The Pinwheel Since Leopard Upgrade? Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Marcjcd, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Marcjcd macrumors member

Since I updated to Leopard the 3rd day of the release I have spent more time watching the pinwheel then doing anything else. Mail and Safari abruptly end at least 5 times a day at MINIMUM and when on the internet the pinwheel spends more time on my screen then anything else.

IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THESE KIND OF PROBLEMS??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting very annoyed with this.

THANKS MEMBERS...

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i prefer to call it the color wheel of death...and yes, i have been having similar issues with safari, but not 5 times a day...just more often than before.

the airport issue is another thing...

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

It seems that this is "a feature" at the minute

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

how much memory do you have in that computer?

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I know you weren't asking me but I have the same issue. Answer: same amount of memory as in Tiger. Where does it all go so fast?

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

there is a minimum amount of ram you should have in your computer for it to run properly...

Requirments for Mac OS X 10.5 A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor 512 MB memory or more A DVD drive for installation

i however, have more than the minimum and still have the issue

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. leopard asks 512 MB for minimum, tiger asks 256MB, and you know you never get any good performance from Tiger with 256Mb memory, even with 512MB, Tiger still chokes when using big apps. So My guess is you need at least 1G to run leopard decent.

2. There is another possibility that if you did NOT install leopard "clean", it might cause variety of different performance issues.

8. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

yeah, i definitely see the spinning ball of doom a lot more often with leopard... the worst is itunes. it's not bad when i dock my iphone, but when i dock my 160gb ipod classic, it takes forever for it to show up in itunes... sometimes up to a couple minutes. and anytime i play a song from the ipod through itunes, it spins afterwards... same with when i delete a song, add a song, create a playlist... anything.

i can't wait for my new imac :) 4gb of ram... *drool*

9. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

if its slow with Safari

One way to speed up safari is to input any DNS numbers your router's stat page displays and in System prefs>network pane>DNS tab, click on the + sign on imput maually these numbers, then click OK the apply. happy surfing

10. Nydator macrumors member

I have 2GB of memory and still get the spinning wheel a lot, even when doing the most simple things like reading mail in Entourage. I am hoping 10.5.2 fixes this, along with the wake from sleep problems I've had since the upgrade.

11. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

Also...

you can check with Activity Monitor, and see how your resources are being utilized, applications>utilities>activity monitor

12. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

you can also...

read through these forums for solutions to your issues, most these issues have been resolved, specially the sleep issue. you can also read the console logs to see if there is a rogue daemon running in circles.

13. sourgreenapple macrumors newbie

me too

hi, i have a macbook pro 2.2 ghz , 2 gb ram , 200gb hd, and i too have been seeing alot more spinning wheels of death since i upgraded to leopard. also, its takes 3 time as long to start up my mac.