Spending time disabling services after an update 'cos Apple thinks I need them

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Lodesman, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

After an update I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time disabling services on our two 5S iPhones.

We use the same Apple ID and so after the update, at home, both our phones ring with the same incoming call...... Answer, after trawling the pages of the internet, is to disable 'iPhone Mobile Calls' in FaceTime for God's sake !!!!

How the Hell am I supposed to work that one out ? Apparently our home wifi was being used to send out these calls. Great idea Apple -NOT.

The same with iMessage which, under normal circumstances, happily duplicates messages randomly. Answer, disable it and use SMS only. No problem here in the UK as virtually all SMS services are unlimited anyway on most plans.

I sometimes wonder why I bother updating at all, it seems to take several days to get our phones doing what they did quite happily before the update.

I suppose there are those who actually understand the 'extras' that come with the updates but mere mortals such as us, who use our phones for phoning, texting and a bit of browsing and not much else, end up mightily frustrated.

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Allow me to be the first of many here who will point to your sharing of an Apple ID to be the problem. It is intended that each user have their own.

3. bushido Suspended

bushido

pretty stupid to share an Apple ID ... like the poster above me already stated

4. af21187 macrumors 6502

5. r-m macrumors 6502a

If they weren't enabled, you'd have people like me posting about having to spend time enabling services because Apple doesn't think I need them ;-)

Plus if they didn't enable them by default, you may never discover the cool features.

I'd suggest looking up "family sharing" - you can each have your own Apple ID for iCloud backups, contact sync, the calls-go-to-all-your-devices feature for devices using the same Apple ID, iMessages, and anything else that comes with an Apple ID.
    Once you add another Apple ID to your family, you can use the same credit card and freely download apps the other Apple ID has purchased.

6. Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular

Lodesman

OK everyone, I accept that the time has come to explore the idea of us each having our own Apple ID.

'sigh', here we go again, more googling I suppose.

Thanks for the advice folks.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do recall that you can share an iTunes store ID without issue. It's just the main Apple ID that has to be split up. The store is separate.

Also, even though your calendar is being split up you can share your own personal calendar with the other person so that they see theirs and yours together.

If you really cared about notes or reminders or Safari bookmarks being shared you can make a 3rd "family iCloud" that you install on both of your systems as a secondary account. As a secondary account it can't do everything, but it'll do that much at least. (Although I don't really suggest this anymore. I used to do it but Apple is doing more and more every month to "punish" people who have shared iCloud accounts. If you're going to the trouble of splitting up I say just wash your hands of it and split up. It's time to just give up the dream of sharing certain content with your spouse.)

Backups will now go to unique iCloud accounts. Make sure they each have enough space.

I haven't found a really good solution for sharing Contacts and Photostream, sadly. You'll have to suffer a little there.

8. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

You can use the same apple ID for all store purchase purposes.
    But have separate iCloud accounts.
    That way you can have all your apps and music on both devices, but all your personal data (contacts, reminders, calendars,...) and all the continuity features will be separate.

Works like a charm here.