Spent 3 hours searching - removing data plan from iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dataplanFTL, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dataplanFTL macrumors newbie

Hey guys/girls.

I just finished searching and reading my eyes out.

I am just looking for a sure reason to tell the at&t rep to cancel my dataplan. I know I shouldnt have a iphone if I dont want the dataplan but in today world, with Wi-Fi points virtually everywhere, it is simly not needed.

If you have succeeded removing the dataplan, what did you say/do?

Thanks!

2. Manie Frizzle macrumors member

if you do manage to somehow cancel it, att will surely find out you are using an iphone and they will force the data back on. good luck!

3. dataplanFTL thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting that you say that......

From the searching that I did, there were some that were able to fully decline the dataplan and have not been charged since...:confused:

anyone else with any success?

4. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

It depends on where you live... I have heard of the canadian carriers Fido and Rogers blocking data... however with blocking data through them you loose the ability of visual voice mail... Personally I picked up a plan that was a limited time offer... $30/6GB... and I'm glad I did... it's very handy to be able to check your e-mail or check a website when you're not within a wifi area... if I'm sitting in a wifi hot spot most likely i'll have my laptop out...

5. dataplanFTL thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in South Carolina....USA

I have no problem spending $30 for a feature that i need....but I simply do not need this.

Between school/work/home/friends I am always near a wifi spot. Only time is when i am driving and it is hard to cruise the web while driving a manual trans, lol

any one?

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Get a 2g iphone and unlock it. This is the easiest and cheapest option.

You can also tell them you lost the 3g and have them remove it, and then 'find' your iphone again.

7. powderblue17 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone3g without a dataplan. It was bought new off eBay with no contract so I just had to swap the sim from my old AT&T phone and it works fine. I had to download a fake apn profile so my phone couldn't access cell data but that was it and at&t hasn't said anything yet. I don't know if you can drop out if you signed a contract though.

8. dataplanFTL thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of telling att that I returned the phone (still have 15 days to return) and putting my SIM into my old nokia....then call them up and have them cancel the dataplan and have the WIX BLOCKED.....wait a few days and throw the sim card back into the iphone.

What do you all think?

(I dont like doing this "shady" stuff....but i really feel it is unfair to HAVE to buy a dataplan..

TIA

9. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

They will catch it and make you pay for it in the end. You shouldn't have signed the contract saying you will pay for the data plan if you didn't agree to it.

10. daisuke07 macrumors regular

if you buy a smartphone with internet, email, etc. it kinda makes sense to have a data plan otherwise you should just get a normal cell phone