SPF Sending email from Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by enigma2118, Jun 19, 2013.

1. enigma2118 macrumors regular

Hey there, hoping some guru here might be able to help me out.

So I'm new to the idea of SPFs, never had to use them before, but I certainly do need to now (tons of spoofed emails)

So I activated my SPF through my Cpanel. Only thing now is that my iPhone seems to be having trouble sending emails when not on the WiFi. Makes sense, I suppose my cellular network has a different IP, right?

So how do I allow my iPhone to send emails? Is there some sort of cellular IP I need to authorize?

Any help would me awesome. Thanks all!.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

May depend on outgoing mail server settings. If you have TLS type authentication. IP address should not matter.

edit: thinking more.
    The SPF record in your DNS specifies which mail servers are allowed to send mail from your domain.

Changing from WIFI to Cellular shouldn't change that.

It's hardcoded. You're mail client should be talking to the same server.

3. enigma2118 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are saying that if your iPhone email account is connecting to your server via say STMP, then the email being sent, and being checked by the SPF, should have the regular ol' IP, and sending it from an iPhone over cellular data isn't changing that.

Make sense to me. Thank you Menel. Just dealing with someone who understands zilch about this, and I only understand it a little, but he thinks I have a magic wand to fix it. Arg.

Of course, now he's telling me he can't receive emails on his phone after I enabled the SPF. I think it's time for me to just tell him to seek professional help, in more than one way :)