Sphero Launches New Sphero Mini Activity Kit and Mini Soccer

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sphero today announced the launch of two new versions of its popular Sphero Mini robotic ball, debuting a new soccer-themed Sphero Mini along with an activity kit.

The Sphero Mini Activity Kit combines a clear Sphero Mini robotic ball along with several accessories. The Sphero Mini itself is equipped with a gyroscope, accelerometer, LED lights, and a rechargeable battery, and it can be used with the Sphero Play and Sphero Edu apps to play mini games, access drive modes, and more. The kit offers buildable mazes and tunnels, pins and cones, plus 15 Activity Cards to work with.

There are guided activities included on Activity Cards that can be used with the Sphero Play app, and the app is also gaining a new Block Drive mode. Block Drive mode offers an introduction to basic coding. Movement blocks instruct the Sphero Mini where to go, while Light Blocks add LED effects.

For more advanced users, there's the Sphero Edu app for programming the Mini to learn additional coding skills.

Sphero is also introducing the Mini Soccer, which is a Sphero Mini with a custom black and white shell that looks like a soccer ball. It comes with eight cones for creative challenges and it can be used with the Sphero Play and Sphero Edu apps.

The Sphero Mini Activity Kit, which launched on October 2, is priced at $80, while the Mini Soccer will be priced at $50 and launched on September 16. The new Sphero devices will be available from the Sphero website and through other retailers like Amazon.

Article Link: Sphero Launches New Sphero Mini Activity Kit and Mini Soccer

Last edited:

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I dig the soccer ball. I think they missed an opportunity by releasing now instead of 2-3 months ago.

(I would love to have an actual high school certified or better soccer ball with that classic look. I couldn't find one last I looked.)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Tennessee
Poor Sphero is a one product company. All they've done is add accessories to their existing product and call it a new one. I remember buying the original when it came out, and had fun with the cat around the house, but it got boring and eventually was shelved. All of their products are the same brain, same function, just change the size, color, and accessories.

Last edited:

EatinPonies

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016
I'm confused by the soccer ball. Do you control the ball? Do you control the other colored 'players'? What happens when a player gets in the way of the ball? Do you control the player, which then affects the ball?

I'm jussayin... If you just control the ball like you do any other Sphero that isn't impacted by any of the other things, it's just driving around another Sphero, and nothing novel enough to drive sales/usage.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm confused by the soccer ball. Do you control the ball? Do you control the other colored 'players'? What happens when a player gets in the way of the ball? Do you control the player, which then affects the ball?

I'm jussayin... If you just control the ball like you do any other Sphero that isn't impacted by any of the other things, it's just driving around another Sphero, and nothing novel enough to drive sales/usage.
Was wondering the exact same thing. I've no idea what I'm looking at.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Coding is the new outside... it's like outside FOR. YOUR. MIND! ...Plus, there's air conditioning.
[doublepost=1567785179][/doublepost]
I think you meant to say... "That looks like fun BECAUSE I have cats."
No?
It’s cheaper to just keep them supplied with wadded up paper.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I saw something like this demoed in an Apple store to children and the children had no idea about programming or what it means to develop software. My bet is those kids will grow up to be end users.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.

I think they coasted on their Star Wars license for too long. I wonder if a lot of the innovative people already checked out or quit.

Aston441

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
I miss that little robot thingy that sat in your desk and could tell you the weather... what was it called?

I'm so sad they went out of business i totally was gonna get one when it was a little more improved

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Poor Sphero is a one product company. All they've done is add accessories to their existing product and call it a new one. I remember buying the original when it came out, and had fun with the cat around the house, but it got boring and eventually was shelved. All of their products are the same brain, same function, just change the size, color, and accessories.
i feel Ankii and Sphero should have merge really early on ... both their ideas could have flourished quite well.