Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
LOS ANGELES - Tobey Maguire's web-slinging days are behind him.

The 34-year-old actor and "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi will not be returning to the superhero franchise next year. Instead, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced Monday that a new "Spider-Man" film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on Peter Parker in high school would debut in the summer of 2012 with a new cast and filmmaking team.

The announcement of a reboot comes after reports that "Spider-Man 4" production stalled amid script revisions. The original "Spider-Man 4" release date seemed unlikely last week when Paramount Pictures announced that "Thor," another big-screen Marvel superhero adaptation, had hammered out the same May 6, 2011, release date as the fourth Spidey installment.

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me," Raimi, who directed all three "Spider-Man" films, said in a statement Monday. "While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."

Maguire said in an interview last week that there was "great stuff in terms of story and script" for the fourth chapter and the plan was to still release the film in 2011. He also said he had specific ideas about the evolution of the character on the big screen. Maguire's spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Monday's announcement.

"Thor" experienced its own upheaval over the weekend. Stuart Townsend departed the adaptation because of creative differences, according to two AP sources close to the production. Townsend, who had been cast as an ally of the Norse god, was replaced by Joshua Dallas.

The three "Spider-Man" films continually snared moviegoers, earning over $1.1 billion combined. After glowing reaction to the first two films, critical response to "Spider-Man 3" was so-so. Raimi said he was undecided about returning to the franchise after the third movie but later said he didn't like thinking about somebody else making the Peter Parker story.

Sony said it would have more news about the next "Spider-Man" movie in coming weeks.

LINK

Interesting. I hope the new direction is something worthwhile for all fans and not just a grab at the teen market. I hadn't heard about a Thor movie being made.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I hated Spider-Man 3. So, I hope this reboot rejuvenates the franchise. Although I’m not really interested in seeing Peter Parker deal with acne and other normal teen issues.

I hope that’s not the direction they’re going. Also, this reboot sounds similar to X-Men ‘First Class’ or whatever.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I hated Spider-Man 3. So, I hope this reboot rejuvenates the franchise. Although I’m not really interested in seeing Peter Parker deal with acne and other normal teen issues.

I hope that’s not the direction they’re going. Also, this reboot sounds similar to X-Men ‘First Class’ or whatever.

The whole thing sounds stupid.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I can't stand Spiderman, Tobey McGuire or Kirsten Dunst. Okay that doesn't have anything to do with what I have to say..

This is a money grab, pure and simple. Any time a studio says "Hey, let's go back and cover x as a teenager" it's more often than not a lame production. They're aiming for the hugely popular Jonas and Efron market. Tis nothing more.

To make it unique (not your average-teen drama), they will have to gift Peter Parker some type of super ability (assuming it is prior to his getting bitten). You want a superhero in high school, watch Smallville...

In other, unrelated news: "Paramount announced the creation of Batman Babies a TV series aimed at pre-adolescent girls that will feature the juvenile antics of Batman, Robin, and the Joker in their childhood days at Gotham Elementary...."

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I can't stand Spiderman, Tobey McGuire or Kirsten Dunst.

This is a money grab, pure and simple. Any time a studio says "Hey, let's go back and cover x in high school" it's more often than not a lame production. They're aiming for the hugely popular Jonas and Efron market. Tis nothing more.

You want a superhero in high school, watch Smallville.

Ugh- no thanks. Smallville sucks too. It should be called "Smallminds".

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I like Smallville, but I'm by no means a fan. I like that it's relatively clean.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This is going to be interesting. A new director and new lead. Hmm.

I thought a movie about "Thor" sounded horrible to begin with. I also don't like the idea of "The Green Lantern". Both sound really bad. Although I had my doubts about "Ironman" and I was pleasantly surprised.

Smallville. Uggh that show is pretty bad. I agree with Lee on this one, boring!

"How I met your mom" rocks thou! :D

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Wait a minute- this prudishness from a How I Met Your Mother fan? Come on NPH, I know you're not that chaste. :D

HIMYM is a 20-somethings, light-hearted friend comedy. Gossip Girl is just a decadent, emotionless pit.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Meet the NEW (socially awkward and wussy) Spiderman

michael_cera_hot25.jpg

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
The only Spiderman movie I could get into was the first one. I think that they made Peter Parker way to goofy and I can't stand that. Plus, the cheesy one liners only got worse with each one.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
The only Spiderman movie I could get into was the first one. I think that they made Peter Parker way to goofy and I can't stand that.
I actually preferred the second one, which is unusual for me since sequels tend to suck. But Alfred Molina, Jr. and the special effects team did such a great job with Doc Ock that they won me over.

I think it's universally agreed, however, that Spider-Man 3 was a disaster.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm interested to see a relaunch of Spider-Man, but I'm unsure if it maintains some of the same creative team.

The first Spider-Man movie was great, especially for its time, but...I feel that, in some ways, the character wasn't fully captured.

The key to Spider-Man is that he is, as Peter Parker, a socially awkward, unsure geek...but he puts on the mask and loses himself in a confident, wisecracking persona. Spider-Man is funny, and in the comics, is famous for "bantering" more than any other hero (unless you count Deadpool). He's a constant stream of jokes and bad puns as he fights his opponents, and even when saving people he knows as Peter Parker.

The films didn't really capture this. Peter Parker put on the mask, but he seemed like, well, Peter Parker in a mask. The only joke I can recall in all three movies is, "Here's your change!" when he first met Doc Ock. The other fight scenes? First film, begging the Green Goblin to stop. The second film? Begging Doctor Octopus to stop. The third film? Angrily attacking Sandman, then begging Venom to stop.

They pulled off Peter Parker very well; but not Spider-Man.

Granted, I can't see Tobey MaGuire pulling off amusing banter that well.

Hopefully the new writers take some tips from the new cartoon, "The Spectacular Spider-Man", which is absolutely FANTASTIC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.