`Spider-Man 4' delayed; Maguire, Raimi out

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

LINK

Interesting. I hope the new direction is something worthwhile for all fans and not just a grab at the teen market. I hadn't heard about a Thor movie being made.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This doesn't sound good for Spiderman. Hopefully the new one will be worth the wait.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Both sound like bad ideas.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I hated Spider-Man 3. So, I hope this reboot rejuvenates the franchise. Although I’m not really interested in seeing Peter Parker deal with acne and other normal teen issues.

I hope that’s not the direction they’re going. Also, this reboot sounds similar to X-Men ‘First Class’ or whatever.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The whole thing sounds stupid.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I can't stand Spiderman, Tobey McGuire or Kirsten Dunst. Okay that doesn't have anything to do with what I have to say..

This is a money grab, pure and simple. Any time a studio says "Hey, let's go back and cover x as a teenager" it's more often than not a lame production. They're aiming for the hugely popular Jonas and Efron market. Tis nothing more.

To make it unique (not your average-teen drama), they will have to gift Peter Parker some type of super ability (assuming it is prior to his getting bitten). You want a superhero in high school, watch Smallville...

In other, unrelated news: "Paramount announced the creation of Batman Babies a TV series aimed at pre-adolescent girls that will feature the juvenile antics of Batman, Robin, and the Joker in their childhood days at Gotham Elementary...."

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ugh- no thanks. Smallville sucks too. It should be called "Smallminds".

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I like Smallville, but I'm by no means a fan. I like that it's relatively clean.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean boring.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Call it what you want. I'm just glad it's not like your Gossip Girl..

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait a minute- this prudishness from a How I Met Your Mother fan? Come on NPH, I know you're not that chaste. :D

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is going to be interesting. A new director and new lead. Hmm.

I thought a movie about "Thor" sounded horrible to begin with. I also don't like the idea of "The Green Lantern". Both sound really bad. Although I had my doubts about "Ironman" and I was pleasantly surprised.

Smallville. Uggh that show is pretty bad. I agree with Lee on this one, boring!

"How I met your mom" rocks thou! :D

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

HIMYM is a 20-somethings, light-hearted friend comedy. Gossip Girl is just a decadent, emotionless pit.

14. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Stopped caring about Spiderman after the mess that was 3.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Which is why it's just perfect. :)

16. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

You like Gossip Girl?

I have to admit it, I loved the OC, but couldn't so much get in to GG...

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its going to be interesting how they translate Thor's atrocious costume from comic book to big screen...hopefully they lose the winged hat.

Bless

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Meet the NEW (socially awkward and wussy) Spiderman

[​IMG]

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ It's amazing how people like that get popular in the first place...

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The only Spiderman movie I could get into was the first one. I think that they made Peter Parker way to goofy and I can't stand that. Plus, the cheesy one liners only got worse with each one.

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I actually preferred the second one, which is unusual for me since sequels tend to suck. But Alfred Molina, Jr. and the special effects team did such a great job with Doc Ock that they won me over.

I think it's universally agreed, however, that Spider-Man 3 was a disaster.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm interested to see a relaunch of Spider-Man, but I'm unsure if it maintains some of the same creative team.

The first Spider-Man movie was great, especially for its time, but...I feel that, in some ways, the character wasn't fully captured.

The key to Spider-Man is that he is, as Peter Parker, a socially awkward, unsure geek...but he puts on the mask and loses himself in a confident, wisecracking persona. Spider-Man is funny, and in the comics, is famous for "bantering" more than any other hero (unless you count Deadpool). He's a constant stream of jokes and bad puns as he fights his opponents, and even when saving people he knows as Peter Parker.

The films didn't really capture this. Peter Parker put on the mask, but he seemed like, well, Peter Parker in a mask. The only joke I can recall in all three movies is, "Here's your change!" when he first met Doc Ock. The other fight scenes? First film, begging the Green Goblin to stop. The second film? Begging Doctor Octopus to stop. The third film? Angrily attacking Sandman, then begging Venom to stop.

They pulled off Peter Parker very well; but not Spider-Man.

Granted, I can't see Tobey MaGuire pulling off amusing banter that well.

Hopefully the new writers take some tips from the new cartoon, "The Spectacular Spider-Man", which is absolutely FANTASTIC.

23. timerollson macrumors 65816

Michael Cera as Spider-Man is a ****ing terrible idea.