Spiderman In The Flesh!


wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,125
2
North Carolina
mikeyredk said:
he is still doing that after 9/11 :rolleyes:
I believe he has an accomplice on the ground who can alert police that he's not a terrorist. He carries a cell phone so police, etc. can talk to him.

I saw a documentary on him a few weeks ago. Interesting guy. He's married, with two or three kids. It'll be sad for them if he doesn't make it one of these days.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Uh...I feel dizzy just looking at that picture. There is no amount of $$$ in the world that would get me to even attempt something like that.
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,993
138
Burlington, VT
I've also seen a video on him and it is quite amazing what he can do. I couple of summers ago, I climbed a latter to the second floor of our house to paint and I was holding on for dear life, I can't imagine what he thinks.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
wwooden said:
I've also seen a video on him and it is quite amazing what he can do. I couple of summers ago, I climbed a latter to the second floor of our house to paint and I was holding on for dear life, I can't imagine what he thinks.
Yes, this guy obviously doesn't have acrophobia! It is quite a skill, I''ll give him that, but ultimately, you just have to ask the question, "WHY?!"

Oh, and it's "ladder". :p ;)
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
That is crazy. That guy must be either really cookoo or really confident, or both...:p
 

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
1,740
0
Cardiff, Wales
dmw007 said:
Uh...I feel dizzy just looking at that picture. There is no amount of $$$ in the world that would get me to even attempt something like that.
Aside from the fact you're probably not fit enough, or have the required skills, body/mass distribution... etc.

;)

This man is truely a genius in my eyes... I'd give my right arm to be able to do something like that, and have the confidence... but then.. without my right arm... i doubt I'd get that high... :p
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
Truly an amazing feat. That would certainly take the height of physical ability. Noticed that he does wear red pants, wonder if there is any Spiderman design on them? I give kudos to the police for not arresting him.
 

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
6,044
1,624
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
wordmunger said:
I believe he has an accomplice on the ground who can alert police that he's not a terrorist. He carries a cell phone so police, etc. can talk to him.

I saw a documentary on him a few weeks ago. Interesting guy. He's married, with two or three kids. It'll be sad for them if he doesn't make it one of these days.
I also saw a small documentary with footage of him being home with his family. His wife says that she isn't worried although she would greatly miss him, and more fearful about their children following in his footsteps. Believe me his eldest - I think 11 now - scales their apartment walls like you wouldn't believe!!!! Me and a few kids of my mothers old apartment building, apart from playing nicky-nine-door, used to always play tag. Scaling the brick walls right by the elevator. it was hilarious when a kid passed right under ya.

I'm surprised Spiderman does carry a cellphone. On vibrate it might tickle him. On Outdoors setting it may startle him also at a critical moment. Either one could lead him to fall. Imagine walking by a skyscrapper and seeing a guy bounce off the floor from nowhere! Then after the shock really settles in .... you hear a cellphone ring once and smash just a few feet in front of you. :D
 

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
3,825
432
Dornbirn (Austria)
wdlove said:
Truly an amazing feat. That would certainly take the height of physical ability. Noticed that he does wear red pants, wonder if there is any Spiderman design on them? I give kudos to the police for not arresting him.
actually isaw a documentary once about him when he climbed a building he was idneed wearing a spiderman suit (with some pockets for those stuff he needs to put on his fingers etc.)
 

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,125
2
North Carolina
Prom1 said:
On vibrate it might tickle him. On Outdoors setting it may startle him also at a critical moment. Either one could lead him to fall.
Better be surprised by a cell phone than by a policeman trying to pull/shoot you off the building....
 

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
788
0
Center of the Nation
In December, Robert scaled the world's tallest building, Taiwan's Taipei 101. It took him nearly four hours to reach the top of the 1,679-foot building because it was raining.
this guy has got some skill, but c'mon, get a day job or sumthing
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Abstract said:
Taipei 101 is not the tallest building in the world.

EDIT: Oops, I stand corrected. It is taller than the Petronas Towers. Things change very very quickly. :eek:
Yep, 101 was built in 2004, so pretty recently. The NYE celebration there this pst year was amazing, they basically lit the Tower on fire, with fireworks shooting out of the top and everything - amazing! The Petronas Towers were erected in 1998, I believe... And I think there is some rumored tower in India supposedly being built for 2008 which will blow all of them away! :eek:
 

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
1,740
0
Cardiff, Wales
Abstract said:
Taipei 101 is not the tallest building in the world.

EDIT: Oops, I stand corrected. It is taller than the Petronas Towers. Things change very very quickly. :eek:

I thought exactly the same thing when reading this post.

They'll have to remake entrapment now :p
 

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,125
2
North Carolina
xli_ne said:
this guy has got some skill, but c'mon, get a day job or sumthing
I'm pretty sure he supports himself and his family with the income from these stunts. I can't remember exactly how he does it though. Maybe commercial endorsements? This guy could probably just climb up bridge or something and then just pass the hat around like a street musician if he wanted to.
 

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
1,460
6
this kind fo stuff really annoys me. This guy is a moron. if you want to free climb, do it at an appropriate area. Better yet don't do it. not because you might get killed, that's your choice if you want to do this kind fo stuff, but because it impacts other people (and being out in the wilderness and getting hurt would require a rescue effort or search team). The police end up cordening off the area, people are put into action to verify he's not dangerous to himself or others (and no, some guy in the ground vouching for him isn't enough). Streets might get closed, productivity is lost. Paramedics have to wait around as he finishes, removing them from potential other situations. Police usually ahve to go an arrest him when he finishes instead of, you know, actually protecting the public. Every effect of this guys actions are detrimental to the rest of society. He should be locked up for a significant period of time if you ask me (say a year or so), since he's going to keep on doing it and tie up public and private resources. Make no mistake about it, he's stealing from the tax payers.
 

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
3,375
0
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I want to see the reaction on the people's face that were working in that building.

Could you imagine working in your private office and all of the sudden some guy pretending he's Spiderman is climbing up on your window. They might be used to the window washers, but this is different. :eek:
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Climbing skyscrapers with a rope and harness while being belayed would be really fun, but free climbing like this guy is insane. A four hour ascent would take some seriously strong forearms.