Spigen cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hade5, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Hade5 macrumors newbie

So I was an idiot and wasn't aware of the downfall of preordering through my carrier instead of apple themselves. So in the mean time, I've been looking for cases for my 6+, for when it gets here.

I'm aware of the possible bending that can occur, so I'm looking for a case that can help minimize it, if it were to happen. In particular, the Spigen Tough Armor, and Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal (normal and ex/bumper version).

Does anyone think that the Tough Armor would do better at preventing any possible chances of bending, or would the added aluminum band help strength it's rigidity? Or does anyone else have other suggestions, preferably cases that don't add a lot of bulk like an Otterbox or Lifeproof for example.

Sorry for any ignorance in regards to the "#bendgate". You see I was once an Android fan, then tried the iPhone 4S, switched to Android again, and now I'm back to the Apple and staying with them. So there may be some things and opinions I may need to catch up on.

2. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

There are a few units with some issues. Odds are your phone is fine. Don't get a metal case unless you want a metal case. If you don't sit on your phone your phone probably won't bend LOL. IF IT DOES BEND ... Apple will do right by you if it is a true defect. So enjoy your device.

Get a case you like.

3. Hade5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, one more question. You said get a case I like. I do like the Champagne Gold that Spigen has on their metal Neo Hybrid's. Do you think the aluminum will interfere with any reception or other connectivity? Or since the plastic bands go the whole way to the back of the phone, that that would fix any issues?

4. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

Be careful from ordering from Spigen. Orderd a case on September 13th and have still not received it yet

5. Xultar, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

If you order from Amazon you'll be fine.

Spigen is having issues with their Neo hybrid line. I have a Neo hybrid. I ordered it on the day I pre ordered it arrived 3 days later actually a day earlier than Amazon promised. I had it before on launch day & put my plus right in.

The problem with the buttons was solved with the little the sticker thingy. I didn't even have to contact them, they emailed me and the fixes were sent and arrived within 1 business day. I love my Spigen case. It looks sharp. the mfg issues with the buttons really pushed stock back & some won't be in stock Til later this month. I want to get a red one but dates keep slipping to late October.

I heard that the metal bumpers do impact signal strength a little bit around -8. There is a thread on it here.

I would get one but signals where I live are already low. Also I can imagine the metal ones would be kinda hard to get off. The plastic requires some force...i can't imagine the force an aluminum bumper would require. If you do get one always remove from the bottom first.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I have a Tough Armor (which I like BTW) and I still worry a little about the phone bending. Let's put it this way, if there is a bending issue I'm not confident that this case would stop it.

The only cases I can really see stopping bending are Otterbox Defender type cases - where there is a hard plastic top and bottom that snap together to completely surround the phone.

7. Hade5 thread starter macrumors newbie

You don't think the metal band from the Neo Hybrids to help at all? Since it's adding extra aluminum, which should add rigidity in terms of bending.

8. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

most cases should help under normal use provided that they have a stiff side and hold the phone tight.

9. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Look for a Spigen tough armor review on YouTube. There is one guy that goes through trying to bend his phone in front & back pockets, then with both hands.

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I would not recommend the EX if you are worried about bending.

Although I have a iPhone 6 (not a Plus) and a plastic band (not a metal), I do not feel the EX has enough support to prevent from bending. I would stick with the Tough Armour if you are truly trying to prevent bending.

I have two Neo Hybrid EX (one on my phone and the other on my wife's phone. My son has the Neo Hybrid (non-EX) and it seems to provide additional rigidness, but I cannot guarantee that it would provide enough.

I know there are situations where phones are bending, but I honestly feel under normal use, this should be a non-issue. Maybe I'm being naive on the subject. :shrug:

11. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I can't comment on the Neo Hybrid since I have no experience with it. I only have the Tough Armor. But if I were REALLY worried about bending (I'm just kind of worried) then I would only want a case that provides structural integrity from the top AND bottom of the phone. IMO if you can bend the case itself then the phone can bend within the case.

12. hernan1304 macrumors member

Here you go: this is a video of guys actually doing their best to intentionally bend an iPhone 6 Plus inside a Spigen Tough Armor. I think the results are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=aUqyu2ZNo5o&app=desktop

13. AaronRuggiere macrumors member

SPigens Cases are on Backorder just like the damn iPhone

14. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Just got the Spigen Soft-Flex Capsule in clear..ugh..stay far far away from this case everyone! Only good thing is that it shows the phone "naked" with a case on but not a thin-fit/air skin type of case.

In certain angle the case has a yellow tint and too flexible that it feels like a cheap case from a kiosk. You can literally lift/pull the case away from the phone as it isn't a tight fit, personally I think they should make the case a bit smaller so it can hug the phone.

15. wxman2003 Suspended

Unfortunately, the weak point on most of the cases out there for the 6 Plus are near the volume rockers. The easiest spot to bend on the Apple leather case is also the weakest point of the phone. The case is poorly designed. The iphone 5 leather case is much stronger near the volume rocker. I also had the Spigen Thin fit and Incipio Dual Pro, and both have their weakest spot near the volume rockers. Quite easy to bend. Sent those back. Finally got my Spigen Thin Armor today, and appears to be much tougher to bend near those volume rockers, so am keeping that case for my 6 Plus.

16. MICkingslayer macrumors newbie

Now I'm using Spigen Neo Hybrid EX and Tough armor.
    It's really good and I'm satisfied with these cases as it always does for me before.
    And one of my friends is using the neohybrid metal case, and he said it's really cool looking and there was no signal reception problem so far.