Spigen Glas.tR and Image Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by NightMoose, Dec 7, 2012.

1. NightMoose macrumors newbie

The Spigen Glas.tR is arguably the king of screen protectors. Before buying, I want to know how it affects the user experience.

It's been well established that the spigen glas screen protectors add a small amount of bulk and don't fit with many cases. However I'd like to focus on image quality. Are there tests for changes in colour and image quality with the glas.tR and an iPhone?

One thing I love about the iPhone 5 is how the LED is fused to the glass. Does the spigen glas.tR take away from this experience at all? The other day I saw BlackBerry PlayBook and the image was deep in the device. I'd hate to change the way my screen looks and feels.

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I must say that the GLAS.tR Fits with a whole lot of cases that's out on the market. Not everything. But a lot.

I didn't notice any degradation of the screen quality. It actually feels much nicer to touch, glides really smooth, and has a better oleophobic coating on it.

Here's my favorite videos on the GLAS.t/R

3. golfgrouch macrumors member

Why did you decide on the Spigen over the other glass screen protectors?

4. NightMoose, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

NightMoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Many reasons, including quality and durability. But above all else, the fact that it's true glass. To my knowledge, Spigen is the only company who makes protectors like this. Plastic screen protectors just don't do it for me. Spigen is also a brand that has a reputation for producing quality products.

I'm familiar with the good things about the Glas.tr and I'd like to focus on how it affects the screen, paricularly image quality. The above video reviews mentions responsiveness and the oleophobic coating, but I'm mostly concerned with the changes to the display, however minor they may be. Perhaps someone currently using a Glas.tr would like to share their opinion.

Edit: I see BodyGuardz has a glass screen protector as well. I believe competition is a good thing, so feel free to comment on any brand. Ideally, a comparison of image quality with and without the screen protector.

5. PastorJeff macrumors member

I also use a SGP Glas.tR, and can say that it doesn't affect the screen at all. Feels just like the iPhone screen to me. The reason that I chose the SGP, was simply due to the quality and reputation that Spigen continues to display year after year.

6. dbo43867 macrumors member

I just got a Bodyguardz Pure.

The blacks are a touch more brown now- not as rich as they were without the protector. Similar to what I noticed with my SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal.

And I'm sure Spigen Glas.t owners will claim it's a BodyGuardz issue, but I really think it's a problem inherent to the design. I would be willing to put money on the fact that if I bought the SGP Glast T.r I'd notice the same thing.

The Mediadevil screen protector is the only one I've had where the blacks are as black as the bare screen.

7. AFDoc, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Arguably not. SPG's first try was rubbish that they dumped on the iPhone community that chipped if you blew on it to hard. The Pure is a better product IMHO and not simply because of the original T. I believe the Pure went on easier with a cleaner finish. I also had adhesive lift on my first glassT but that was replaced for free. I did start to get some lifting of my replacement right before I sold the phone. BodyGuardz also has a sweet replacement policy, buy the new one a a deep discount ($12.95) send back your old one and they reset your replacement. SPG provides no such replacement as far as I know. Check it out:
    http://www.bodyguardz.com/screengua...en-protectors-covers-shields-skins-films.html

@DBO... I don't notice the browning of blacks of which you speak. I have owned both the glassT and Pure and did not notice on either.