Spigen Glass.tR...is it case friendly?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davistld01, Nov 26, 2012.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I am really tempted to splurge for the Spigen Glass.tR screen protector for my new iPhone 5 tonight simply because of the 30% Cyber Monday discount...but, is it "case friendly"?

I really like my Speck Candyshell & Incase Slider cases...but it looks like unless the glass pane isn't cut to not quite meet the edges of the phone's screen, it will interfere with the case going on and fitting right. :(

Can anybody help me with this before it's too late tonight?

Thanks.

2. dbo43867 macrumors member

The Bodyguard Pure is 50% off! I just ordered one. It was a total tossup between the two, so the extra several dollars is all it took for me to make the other choice. Anyway back on topic...

If the Candyshell (normal) is cut similarly to the Candyshell Grip I doubt there will be a problem with interference. I think the Candyshell Grip is extremely screen-protector friendly.

3. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

Yeah, if the regular candyshell is cut similar to the Grip, I read another forum member say that the Glas.tR fits. They said it was pretty much flush with the lower cut of the case, and the upper part was recessed. Like dbo stated, the bodyguardz is 50% off, though, which is why I ordered the bodyguardz. Also their lifetime replacements for $12.95 sound like a nice idea.

4. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I have sent two seperate inquiries to Spigen...but I guess they're too busy to respond. :cool:

I did, however get a quick response from Bodyguardz (a day late, but still...)...and they said that the didn't recommend using a case with their "Pure" glass screen protector since the edge of most any case can cause the glass pane to lift up or bubble. They were also very ready to give me the Cyber Monday 50% discount today since they missed my business yesterday! Pretty cool.

5. PastorJeff macrumors member

Her is mine with the Belkin Candy Sheer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

**Also fits with my Otterbox Commuter

6. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

hmmmmmm...

7. PastorJeff macrumors member

I really am enjoying my belkin with the Glas.tr
    Starting to use my commuter less each and every day

8. Cosmos01 macrumors member

I really like the way the Belkin Grip looks with the glass shield above. Its sad to read that the Bodyguardz Pure isn't very case friendly. Does anyone have the Bodyguardz Pure and is using it with a case? I'm especially interested to hear if the Pure works with the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer, just like the Glas.tr does.

9. Sheldonsmith macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Works great on my Element Case Sector 5.

-Sheldon

10. myfavoritePA macrumors newbie

The only case I have personally owned that just doesn't work with the Glas.tR is the Noot bumper (it's too narrow to fit properly with the additional thickness of the glass).

Other than that I have not had problems with fit except that minimalist cases that would be flush with the screen without a Glas.t(R), but are not with it applied (the case is more narrow than the phone + screen protector). That's annoying.

11. johnny76 macrumors newbie

Works fine with my Acase Superleggera Pro. Looks much like the front of the Belkin case above.

12. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

I have this exact case on my black phone. does the case lip go over the glass protector or butt against it?

Thanks.

13. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

It doesn't touch the screen protector. It settles right next to it making an almost seamless design. Works like this with the Candyshell, Candyshell Grip, and the Pixelskin HD from my experiences.

I will say that it didn't fit properly in the Otterbox Commuter that I have though these things vary in quality so your results may vary. It was not only a tight fit but the silicone lip wouldn't quite fit over the glass all the way around. You can force it in there but it doesn't quite settle into place perfectly.

14. Cosmos01 macrumors member

Do you have the Spigen Glas.tr or the Bodyguardz Pure? I was wondering if the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer still has a lip with the Pure.

I was considering the Pixelskin HD but have heard that there are loose fitment issues and misalignment, is that true?. I was also wondering how much thicker the Pixelskin HD is than the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer.

15. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Your successful mating of the Glass.tR with the cases you listed (mine included) makes me wonder if the Bodyguardz Pure product is significantly larger than the Spigen one. I mean...if the outside edges of the Pure mated directly inline with the phones screen edges, then the issues that Bodyguardz mentioned might be possible.

16. kalexn macrumors 6502

I know Cyber Monday is over but I have the Bodyguardz pure and absolutely LOVE it!

17. Balibalistic macrumors regular

man, im waiting on my neo hybrid metal to show up. i just put my glas.tr on and it is great!! better then the actual screen imo.

18. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

They are the exact same size. I have not only used both but have literally stacked them on top of each other. The difference is the glas.tR has a tapered edge so it is slightly less thick around the corners and the homebutton. The standard glas.t is the same physical size as the Pure as it doesn't have the tapered edges.

I will say the Pure ever so slightly thinner overall in terms of actual thickness despite the measurements on their website being identical to the SGP. It doesn't taper but it is physically thinner. Maybe by a fraction of millimeter so it isn't truly noticeable unless they are both side by side.

If you directly center the Pure (or the SGP ones for that matter) on the home button (not the earpiece) then the cases I listed should fit perfectly as none of them outside of the Commuter come over the screen at all. It it bubbles or doesn't fit then it probably isn't centered 100% which is very difficult to do so this wouldn't surprise me).

When using the Commuter the silicone doesn't quite clear the screen protector so while you can force the phone it, it doesn't wrap tightly around the top of the screen protector properly. The phone is very easy to pop out since it doesn't fully lock into place.

@Cosmos01 I currently put a Pure back on my phone but this case basically rest right at the edge. If you lay it screen side down, the screen protector doesn't quite touch the table but I wouldn't drag or slide it either as any movement of the edge of the case could cause the TPU to depress slightly and rub the screen protector. Hope that makes sense.

19. FrankR1981 macrumors newbie

This case is definitely case friendly with the Element Sector 5. Looks fantastic and works flawlessly. Definitely worth the money. I never tried the bodyguardz version but I don't believe they have the rounded edge version like Spigen does. I could be wrong.

Attached Files: