Spigen Hybrid Ultra - now in the bin/trash!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kmpowell, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kmpowell macrumors member

I should never have listened to myself when I said "Give the £10 Spigen a try instead of forking out £35 for the brilliant official leather Apple case again as you did with your 5S", because after less than a week the Spigen is now in the bin and I've just bought an official leather case to replace it.

This Spigen case is of good construction, but it has one major flaw... it's not a 100% tight fit around the handset which results in the bumper sides inadvertently 'rolling' back & forth over the iPhone 6's curved edge. This in turn makes pressing the volume & newly situated 'home' buttons very tricky! The bumper button alignment easily falls out of line with the actual buttons so you end up pressing against the side of the case and nothing happens but more movement of the case rolling back and forth. Once the bumper is out of 'location' to the button, when trying to press the power button you squeeze so hard you press the volume button instead. This becomes irritating very quickly!

Now I have my iP6 in the Apple case, it's also eradicated my worries about the handset being too big. The Spigen looks quite slim, but in reality the bumper is really chunky and adds a lot of width to the phone making it harder to use with one hand.

The opening for the camera lens doesn't have a bevel/surround around it, so if you have your phone in your pocket dust easily gets between the phone and clear back via the top gap.

So some advice for those thinking of buying, you get what you pay for, it's a false economy. :apple:

2. Slowpc macrumors 6502

Slowpc

I'm hoping that this was just an issue with their specs not matching what was expected to them. Revisions will hopefully fix these things but might just do like you did and go with an apple case as well.

I have a PT bamboo case and it works fine for now, but got to take a trip to the apple store here and get my applecare so might be done at the same time.

3. kmpowell thread starter macrumors member

To be honest, I'm not sure any revisionsto spec/dimension will make a difference. Due to the iP6 having the lovely curved edges, there isn't an adequate surface for a 'bumper' type case to sit on without the 'rolling'.

Given my iP6 was delivered on launch day I was unable to judge what the fit would be like beforehand, but as soon as I slotted it in I knew it wasn't going to work properly. I stuck with it for a few ays, but it became annoying very quickly.

On the plus side, it's now in it's new Apple leather case, and that fits perfect fit. Go with your first instinct is my advice. :)

4. CarRamRod macrumors member

Spigen has been replying to the comments for this case on amazon and according to them they are sending "button stabilizers" to everyone who ordered this case. May want to dig it out of the trash.

5. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Am wondering if you receiveded a dud case? I have the same case on a 6 Plus I'm reviewing and am not having issues. The case fits snugly with no rolling and aside from the volume rockers being a bit stiff at first I'm not having any issues.

6. kmpowell thread starter macrumors member

Other reviews are coming in on Amazon saying the same thing, and as the poster above says, Spigen are trying to appease previous purchasers on Amazon who have left negative reviews. So it's a design issue rather than a dud case. :)

7. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I can tell you, IMO it is the best looking case currently out with a good mix of protection, classy, and slim all in one. The reviews are exactly what kept me from purchasing, and this is the case I wanted more than any of them. Ended up ordering the Air Cushion to get by for now. Hopefully Spigen gets their stuff together and puts out a better case. With that said, now if people order one after they "revise" it, they're going to have to be worried about whether they're getting the old case or the revised one.

Probably just get a Magpul case when they release.

8. Hezzerlah macrumors member

Hezzerlah

I have this case and it fits snugly with no motion. I ordered it right after the keynote and received it the monday before launch.

9. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

10. anonymous82 macrumors member

Spigen cases looks really nice and does not look cheap at all, in my opinion. I had the same experience with with the Hybrid Ultra series with for my Iphone 5. It did not fit perfectly and kept moving, making very uncomfortable to use.

However, I ordered the Neo Hybrid and the Slim case (Premium Clear Flexible) and they both fit my IP6+ very well and look of very good quality, so much nicer than those stocked in carriers' stores. Compared the level of fitness between Spigen case vs Apple leather/silicon case, I would say 8 to 10.

11. sbbrown333 macrumors member

I couldn't agree more. Its worked as far as protection so far but I'm picking up the blue Apple silicon case tomorrow. I hate the feel of the buttons with this case. I like the clear back but hate that the case is loose as dust always finds a way back there and I spend 10 mins cleaning it.