Spigen Linear Metal Crystal for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Delta438, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Delta438 macrumors member

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-case-linear-metal-crystal.html

Not sure how new this is, but I haven't seen any threads about it here. What do you guys think?

I'm wondering if it's really made of metal, or it's just the paint job that makes it appear that way.

2. KeithLilja macrumors member

I'm not sure but that looks like a very nice design indeed

3. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

4. Delta438 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, that's a bummer. Still, it looks interesting. I might get this to replace my Poetic Atmosphere, just waiting for some reviews.

5. KeithLilja macrumors member

Pull the trigger and then make your own review haha

6. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

I can't tell if these are thinner than the Neo Hybrid bumpers. My one complaint was that the back lip was way too thick. Hopefully someone can review the thing to see how thin it is.

7. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I'm going to get one, just disappointed there isn't a white option

8. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Please post up pictures!

9. AnthonyJS02 macrumors member

Waiting on spigen to send me return info for my neo bumper. Kept coming apart in pocket. Might have to try this.

10. camakaze macrumors newbie

Just got the slate version delivered today. Overall I think this is a really good case. It doesn't add a lot of bulk to the phone, the fit is perfect, and the color matches the black iphone perfectly. It really compliments the design of the phone.

In terms of functionality, I'm not sure since I've only had it for several hours. I had the Linear case for my iPhone 4 and ended up not using it because it was very slippery in my hand and I dropped it several times. We'll see how this version holds up. But my firsthand impression is this is an aesthetically pleasing case and one of the best on the market in that regard.

11. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Can you please post up pictures of it? I would love to see the thickness of it. I have the linear bumper for the iPhone 5 and it's pretty thick.

12. camakaze macrumors newbie

Sorry for the lousy picture quality (iPad at night) but hopefully the photos help. As I mentioned before, the frame is pretty thin and doesn't add a lot of bulk to the phone and yet feels very solid and secure. There is no creaking or sliding of the phone within the case. It fits like a glove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Delta438 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for sharing! I just got mine today too to replace my Poetic Atmosphere. That was way too difficult to remove and it doesn't exactly play nice with screen protectors.

I agree with everything you said, it fits really nicely. I would assume it provides quite decent protection, I'm not going to drop my phone to find out. And the back is transparent as an added bonus, now I can admire the back of my phone while leaving it protected. It does add a little width to the iPhone, but not to the extent that its uncomfortable to hold.

If anyone has any questions or request for pictures, feel free to ask. The pictures above are pretty much the exact same as mine though.

14. PastorJeff macrumors member

15. rjbeh macrumors regular

Mine should be arriving tomorrow by fedex. Will post up photos and my thoughts as well :D

16. Delta438 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the quality, iPad 2 camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how you put the case on.

----------

Good god, I knew the iPad 2 camera was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

17. DMB1 macrumors member

Hi, do you think the case will protect the polished edges of the phone. Or is there potential for dirt and dust to get in?

I currently use the tones case and it is great for keeping stuff from getting inside the case.

Love the look of this case by the way.

18. Delta438 thread starter macrumors member

The case is fits perfectly around the phone, including the back. I don't see any gaps, so I think there's very little to no potential for dust to get in.

Also, it's made of plastic, so don't worry about it scratching the polished edges.

19. DMB1 macrumors member

Excellent will order one when they become available on the UK spigen eBay store.

20. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I loved the looks of my SGP Linear on my 4s. However I used it for about a week and found it far too slippery. I cannot chime in about the grip quality of these new ones, just something to consider.

21. wandergirl macrumors newbie

Great to see the photos. If anyone has a silver one, I'd love to see that too.

I have a few questions for those who have received them. How are the buttons...easy to push and with feedback? Could you put the bumper on without using the back? I'm just worried the back would pick up fingerprints and scratches and the whole thing might be a bit slippery. I would love to hear your full reviews!

22. Delta438 thread starter macrumors member

The buttons are easy to push, the case doesn't interfere with their responsiveness in any way. You can use the case without the back plate, but the phone will shift about in the bumper. It's designed to be used together with the bumper.

Also, better it pick up fingerprints and scratches than your phone itself. It's also glossy, and personally I feel that glossy surfaces does the exact opposite; it makes surfaces less slippery. It's matte that makes surfaces smooth.

Or maybe my skin is just weird.

23. wandergirl macrumors newbie

Thank you for the info Delta438, it's very helpful. I thought of another question, can you tell if the case will work with the lightning to 30 pin cable adapter?

24. Delta438 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I don't think so. I don't have one of those, but to my knowledge, those won't fit onto the phone as long as there is a bit of thickness to the case. I'm guessing the only cases that would probably be compatible with the adapter are those ultra thin ones.

So unless your adapter is the 0.2m one, I think you're out of luck. :(

25. rjbeh macrumors regular

Awesome case.

Ok guys, just got my packaged delivered to me right about 15 minutes ago. As I am typing this my case is fully on my iPhone and i have to say this is one of the best cases i've tried on my iPhone 5 so far. :D:D

First impressions:

The packaging more or less the same like the others (ultra thin air, etc etc)

Inside you get the case itself, an extra lower frame, one steinheil crystal clear screenie, and 3 e-poxy buttons.

Installation:

It was quick and easy, in fact i think its easier than the iPhone 4/4S versions.

Fit & finish

Awesome fit like other fellow forumers mentioned above, fits like a glove. But the only sad thing is i have to remove my side ********** stickers cause it doesn't fit. (the bottom part doesn't wanna snap into place :( So beware people if you wanna use this case it DOES NOT FIT with side decals on (********** to be particular not sure about lucky labs clear version)

I've teamed up the combination with the aluminum home button from spigen, Bodyguardz Pure tempered glass screen protector, Spigen's ultra mix matte middle back, and **********s' anti bacterial black top and bottom. The perfect combo for me and I will not change any cases till I get my Element Case Sector 5 next month :p

The power and volume Buttons are very tactile and responsive :)

Anyhow here are some pics from the unboxing till it is fully installed onto my phone. I've even include some other pics with the gold lower frame that comes with the case. Enjoy and sorry for the low quality pics it was taken with my iPad.

Sorry I had to divide it into two different posts as only 5 pictures is allowed in a single post

Attached Files: