Spigen Neo Hybrid Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pilot1226, Oct 23, 2013.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

So, I was looking for a new case. I wasn't happy with the Mophie Juice Pack and returned it (it's a great case, I just couldn't justify the extra $75 price difference to have the convenience of not plugging in my phone every so often when I find myself in need. I have access to charging in my car, at work, and at home, so it's a non-issue for me.)

http://www.spigen.com/iphone-5-5s-case-neo-hybrid.html

These had some fantastic reviews on Amazon and other websites like CNet. I like the sleek design compared to my current case, an OtterBox Commuter Series. It just feels bulky and clumsy, the grip isn't quite there, and the bottom flaps for the headphone jack and charger jacks are annoying to maneuver.

I ordered the Spigen cases from Amazon, one of myself and one for my wife, and took advantage of the 50% off Screen Protector offer. I chose the Ultra Crystal one that Spigen offers, based off a Japanese film which apparently is the best choice. I think it had a hardness of 4H.

So, we'll see how these turn out, but I like the idea that it provides some protection for the phone and also remains true to the smaller form factor.

Updates in a week or two after I use it for a bit - if anyone else has an experience with Spigen cases feel free to drop your two cents below.

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I've been tempted by this case a few times. I just can't make out if the outside edge is metal or plastic. Would anybody be able to confirm?

3. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'm pretty sure this is plastic. The item description mentioned TPU which is thermoplastic polyurethane which is the non-slip grippy type material on the inside (the black part) and helps absorb impact. The other description is polycarbonate, that's a hard plastic, which is colorized on your preference. Also, the buttons are "metallized" which I believe just means they look like metal but aren't painted plastic which has a tendency to chip. Essentially it's a silver plastic button.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Ah yes. It's all the wording of metal that has me not buy it. If I was sure it was all plastic I would get it. Thanks for the input.

5. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

It's plastic

6. schizbomb macrumors 6502

Got a gold neo hybrid on my space gray and it's absolutely fantastic in every way. I wish they would sell the out bands separately so I could get other colors!

7. beastmode16 macrumors regular

This is hands down one of my favorite iPhone case. Loved it for the 4 and the 5. Others will say it is a thicker bumper and the plastic bit slips but for me it's never done this. It was a daily case for me for about 6 months. I dropped it with in the case a few times and it protected my phone. Overall it's a great case Especially with a colored skin combo. If u do use side skins it does make it have a tighter fit. Also my buttons the rubber would u always be a tad but more to one side of the plastic outside but I overall really loved the case

8. Diseal3, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I have this one and white and I love it.

Attached Files:

9. Elevon macrumors regular

10. BillMc40 macrumors member

customer service sucks

Just wanted to let everyone know that Spigen's Customer Service sucks! I have contacted them app.4 times in the last month and a half over this case that was then app 7 months old to say hey the rubber insert is stretched. They will not return any emails.
    I am now thinking they have a shoty product. Even worst customer service.
    Looking foir a new case now wont look there.
    BillMc

11. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Yes it's soft

12. schizbomb macrumors 6502

english

do you speak it

13. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I contacted Spigen because of what looked like a damaged screen protector (bought a pack of ultra crystal) and they responded to me within 24 hours.

The bigger pain in the butt is that I have to remove my screen protector and mail it back to them with their prepaid label instead of having them just send me a new one.

Oh well.

14. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

A followup: I received a new screen protector and it's perfect. I'm a fan of the slim profile staying true to the iPhone 5/5S design. It's great. It provides me with adequate impact and scratch protection and has an attractive metallic looking band along the outside.

Highly recommended.