Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Hey group,

So I've been examining my iPhone 6 in its Spigen bumper, and it hardly covers the side with the screen. Is anyone else having the same experience? Be sure not to compare to the edges of the device as the glass curves in. It hardly offers protection for the screen itself.

Will Spigen fix this or is this normal?

wxnats

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Northern Virginia
I have it on my 6+ and I love it. It protrudes so when I place my phone on the table, it protects the screen and back (including the camera that sticks out). I'm waiting for my screen protector to arrive. I think it's great!

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
The back side protrudes enough to protect the back. The front side hardly protrudes. Keep in mind the edges of the iPhone curve in, so the screen itself is higher than the edges. The case protrudes just a slight bit.

Are they planning on giving out better-designed ones soon? I hope so...

wxnats

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Northern Virginia
The back side protrudes enough to protect the back. The front side hardly protrudes. Keep in mind the edges of the iPhone curve in, so the screen itself is higher than the edges. The case protrudes just a slight bit.

It sounds like you need a case, not a bumper. The EX is fine.

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
It sounds like you need a case, not a bumper. The EX is fine.

Bumpers typically have a lip that extends just enough to prevent the screen from hitting the pavement. Always been a bumper guy. This bumper is lacking... Checked Amazon reviews, apparently I'm not alone in thinking this.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

I just checked the front and idk what you are talking about. The front lip def. goes further out than the screen.

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
I just checked the front and idk what you are talking about. The front lip def. goes further out than the screen.

It does, as I said it hardly protrudes. Make sure not to compare it to the edge of the device as the edges descend and curve in. The back has the 0.8mm as advertised. The front doesn't have 0.8mm distance from where the screen starts and where the lip ends. The screen will easily contact the floor should the phone drop.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Spigen's Air Cushion case is the same. The lip protrudes about 0.5mm above the non curved part of the screen itself. I think they did this so they can use the word 'slim' in their description and say it's only 10mm thin.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
It does, as I said it hardly protrudes. Make sure not to compare it to the edge of the device as the edges descend and curve in. The back has the 0.8mm as advertised. The front doesn't have 0.8mm distance from where the screen starts and where the lip ends. The screen will easily contact the floor should the phone drop.

then a bumper case is not for you. Considering most phone fall on the corners not flat on the face. i think most of us are ok.

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
then a bumper case is not for you. Considering most phone fall on the corners not flat on the face. i think most of us are ok.

As I said before, I've owned bumpers exclusively. The bumper lip was advertised as having an equal amount of lip on the front and back. It doesn't. That's my contention. I find it strange you feel you can tell me whether the bumper is for me... It really isn't your place to decide. The bumper is for me, I purchased one that promised a certain amount of protection, and it didn't deliver... The product description is the issue.

If you check amazon's reviews, you'll find I'm not the only one saying this. Most people say it's inferior to previous versions and at least one other person commented on the lip not being as long as it should be.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
As I said before, I've owned bumpers exclusively. The bumper lip was advertised as having an equal amount of lip on the front and back. It doesn't. That's my contention. I find it strange you feel you can tell me whether the bumper is for me... It really isn't your place to decide. The bumper is for me, I purchased one that promised a certain amount of protection, and it didn't deliver... The product description is the issue.

If you check amazon's reviews, you'll find I'm not the only one saying this. Most people say it's inferior to previous versions and at least one other person commented on the lip not being as long as it should be.

i agree the lip could have been a smige bigger, but at the end of the day if i lay it on the front. the screen doesn't touch the table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.