Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Slim questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tymeewin, Jan 6, 2013.

1. tymeewin macrumors newbie

I was thinking about getting this particular case but I heard that the bumper for the previous version kept sliding off. Does this problem still persist for the Slim version after a few months of use? Also does anyone know how big the diameter of the headjack hole is in the case? Is it worth 32$?

2. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

It looks nice in pictures, but the sliding issue is annoying. Definitely not worth the $32 price tag. It's a shame that spigen's case quality doesnt justify their premium price tag.

3. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

How long have you had your case? I have had mine for a week and a half and so far no issues. I have been very vocal on these forums regarding the prior versions having the problems. I'll give it about a month before really passing judgement on that issue. As far as the price is concerned, it's a high quality case compared to some of the other junk out there and considering the extras the case comes with, the price is reasonable.

4. tymeewin thread starter macrumors newbie

JS82712 did you have the regular model or the new SLIM model? Also how long have you had it for?

5. khsjsilver macrumors newbie

I've been using this case for a little over week.

1) Even though the case is very tight to the phone, there is a little bit of play on the sides. The top and bottom feel secure, but the sides do come away from the phone under certain moves. I have not had any instances with the case sliding off the phone.

2) The headphone hole is very small. The diameter looks to be a hair under 1/4". My headphone of choice, that I thought I would have no problem with, didn't fit. I took a razor blade and shaved down some thin slices of rubber off the very end of the headphone jack and it fits fine. I wasn't happy about doing it, but it works.

3) My biggest problem is the fit of the case when using a Glass screen protector. The Spigen website says that this case is compatible with Glass screen protectors. This is really not accurate. The rubber on the front of the case does not fit over the Glass protector. It essentially buts up against the protector. As such, there is really no lip on the front to protect the phone. If you place the phone on a table front side down, the Glass screen protector is essentially sitting right on the table. I understand that bumper cases do not provide the greatest level of protection, but I was hoping for a bit of a lip on the front side.

As far a value, $31.99 is a lot of money to spend on a case. Overall, I do think it's a nice case. Hard to say whether it's worth it. If you are expecting a "perfect" case for that amount of money, you may be dissappointed because the case is not 'perfect".

Hope this helps.

6. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Same here. Although the the side play is very slight and in the middle of the height of the case. This seems to be the case (no pun intended) with many of the "slim" hard plastic bumpers. A couple of my Caze ThinEdge's have that slight play as well.

I primarily use BT so this is really not a big deal for me. However, when I do want to "plug in", I use the Apple Earpods and my Bose OE2i's barely plug in but they do work fine.

This one I really don't understand. The purpose of the Glass screen protectors is to protect the underlying glass. The GG on the iPhone 5 is very good terms of scratch resistance. I have had every iPhone since the 3G and never scratched my screen. These additional glass protectors are supposed to be scratch resistant and many have a replacement warrantee with minimal charge if the screen does become damaged. As far as the Neo working with it, the case is a very tight fit. So if you want that additional lip, you may need to go with a case that is not a bumper.

I have had a lot of cases thru the years and have rarely (if ever) found one that was absolutely perfect. However, as with most choices, there are some compromises with each choice and it's all about whether you can live with those compromises. For myself, there's not many compromises but mine are:
    1. A little thicker than the Caze
    2. Lightning connector hole won't accommodate 30 pin adapters (which affects most bumpers).

I have been enjoying this case so far and will continue to do so as long as the fit holds up over time.

7. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

I own both the slim version and the older fatter version.

I have not ONCE come across the issue of the case slipping off. I even wear skinny jeans! Makes me think its a defect or its a 50/50 chance of you getting a loose one. The sides do have a bit of play but like mentioned before, it has never come off.

I also have the GlastR on it and the fit is perfect, with a bit of lip still on the front. If the case isn't working for you with the Glast then you must have installed it wrong.

Overall it's a great case and the high price tag is due to the extra goodies it comes with and the high quality build it has compared to your $5 eBay bumper.

If I were you, I would look around for there $8 coupon code. I have two on me and I'm sure if you ask them on their Facebook page, they will send you one.

8. tymeewin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thansk for the answers everyone! How does it compare to the Caze Thin Edge?

9. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I have both (actually 3 ThinEdges - Silver, Black, Clear). The Neo is a bit thicker than the ThinEdge but not to the point of being uncomfortable to hold. The Neo does have a bit more protection with the rubber interior and both front and back lip. The Caze has a little back lip but is flush with the glass in the front. One of the things I dislike about the Caze is the button cutouts which require a deliberate press. The Caze can also be susceptible to "play" on the sides. The clear and the Black ones I have definately do have the "play", with the clear one being so bad that Caze is sending me another one. The Black one is ever so slight. The Silver is rock solid.

I am currently using the Neo right now as I like the feel of the case and the exposed (but covered) buttons. I am sure that I will be switching back-and-forth as time goes on.