Spigen Neo Hybrid EX - The Best Bumper For The iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by boltjames, Sep 13, 2014.

1. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are photos of my son's iPhone 5S in Space Grey against my new Spigen Neo Hybrid EX for iPhone 6 in Gunmetal (the proper color match for Space Grey). Tough to capture the color precisely as the rounded edges of the case reflect light differently depending on the angle, but it's practically a spot-on match.

Took a shot of the 5S inside the 6 case so you can see the increase in size. In some of the shots you can see his phone in the same Hybrid EX bumper for the iPhone 5, note that the new model has chromed buttons which look more upscale.

I've got 4 iPhone 5's in the family, we're all in this Spigen bumper, can't tell you how many times it's saved us from drops and shattered screens while being minimalist enough to allow Apple's design to shine through.

BJ

2. Bauer-uTc macrumors member

Just posted a thread about this case. I am very disappointing that front and rear screen protectors are not supplied with the 6 and 6 plus version. With them on my 5 and 5s the phones were and are still like new. Without these this case is flawed in my eyes as it costs the same as it did when the screen protectors were supplied with the case on the older vesrions. :(

3. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

No one needs front or back screen protectors anymore. Modern iPhones simply don't need them, myself and my family have four of these cases for the 5 and we never use them, I'm sure most of Spigen's consumers feel the same way.

Unless you have rocks in your pockets there is zero need for this type of protection.

BJ

4. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Anyone have pics of the metallic slate version? I ordered that as I thought it looked a little darker and less brown than this version.

Thanks for the pics!

5. Bauer-uTc macrumors member

Not really true, Two work friends both own a naked iPhone 5 and the back casing is totally destroyed on both of them. My phones which are in the same work environment have always been immaculate thanks to the front and rear screen protectors supplied with the case. Also a back protector on a bumper style case is a must as it adds the protection and does not take away from the phone design unlike the bumper style cases which have a clear hard shell back. What happens if you drop the phone onto a hard uneven surface without a protector on a naked or a bumper style case? Chances are it is going to mark it. With the protector? might get scuffed up but the phone casing will be fine. Heck even accidentally putting your phone into your pocked with your keys would be enough to mark and scratch the rear casing of a phone. Yes i know the front glass is pretty sturdy and can take alot of abuse these days. I just dont want my £620 phone looking battered and bruised shortly after buying it.

As i said i love the Spigen range, I am just disappointed that the case that i prefer no longer is being supplied with the items which came with the previous models. After all you can hardly notice that the three section rear protector is installed on my iPhone 5s.

6. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Thanks for the pics!

Ordered this myself this morning as I use the same on my 5S, the same as the one in those pics. :)

Had a cheap TPU cover arrive this morning as a backup, but don't think I'll need it looking at the Neo Hybrid EX. Allowed me to check one handed usage though, success! :)

Have ordered front AND back protectors from eBay as I want the piece of mind I'm not going to mark the bare back. The included ones in the 5S's Neo EX did a great job of this, just a shame they don't include them with the 6's version.

7. Bauer-uTc macrumors member

My thoughts exactly, Do you have a link to the protectors that you purchased?

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Thanks for the post, information, and photos! This is the exact bumper I'm considering for my iPhone 6. May make the purchase this weekend.

Does anyone know how Gunmetal compares with Metal Slate? I preordered the Space Gray.

9. steelecan macrumors member

I need something more than a bumper. I really have to protect this bad boy

10. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

Actually, I have both, ordered the Slate by mistake, forgot that Space Grey is much lighter.

Think of it this way: Spigen Gunmetal matches Space Grey exactly, Spigen Slate matches Slate exactly. Photo above is what you're asking for.

BJ

----------

I can't criticize your own personal decision, but I used to do what you do, and it turns out all I was doing was compromising my own experience by wrapping my phone in plastic so that the next owner could get a perfect phone.

It's like my grandmother putting clear vinyl plastic covers on her furniture. For a decade we all stuck to that crap and sweated on it and for what? When you drive your new car, do you not put a drink in the cupholder or eat an occasional cheeseburger for fear that it'll cost you $10 on resale?

From my own personal experience- you're overthinking this. Screen protectors and rear protectors hurt the performance of the phone and you don't deserve that.

BJ

11. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

These are in the UK if it makes any diff to you?

Front & back shields.

12. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Sweet, thanks. Can you post pics of the slate one too? I'd like to compare because I might return my slate if it doesn't match that well. Only problem is the gunmetal is out of stock for a while.

13. Bauer-uTc macrumors member

Nope thats perfect thanks, UK for me too. :>)

14. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

The Slate will not match the Space Grey at all. While I don't have a photo of the two Spigen's next to each other the above photos tell the story. The Gunmetal Spigen matches the Space Grey iPhone 6. The Slate Spigen matches the iPhone 5. They aren't close.

BJ