Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
So I've been reading comments both saying that the iPhone 6 Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Case does and does not have an effect on signal strength. Therefore, I conducted a test to finally get a solid conclusion. I used the SpeedTest App to test my WIFI speed with and without the case on and got the following results:

Without Case 1st Time:
(download speed in Mbps, upload speed in Mbps)
4.94, 1.59
3.80, .68
3.73, .37
3.93, 1.62
4.89, 2.67

I then put on the case:
2.15, .55
2.72, .50
4.35, .34
2.24, 1.28
1.68, .28

And finally took off the case again:
5.21, 3.44
4.51, 1.77
3.68, .65
3.65, 0.54

Clearly by these numbers we can conclude that the case has an effect at least on WIFI signal by about 1-2 Mbps. Just thought you guys might be interested to see the results.

UPDATE 1: Ran another test for WIFI and Cell Data. Bottom 3 on each list are with the case and top 3 are without. Take of it what you will lol. The Versus Metal case should be here soon so I am hoping that the Versus is somehow better, at least for WIFI.

IMG_6008_zps0b473314.png

IMG_6009_zpsa57af367.png

UPDATE 2: I did the field test (mentioned below) with and without the metal band and it seemed to stay just about the same if not exactly the same. This test seems very accurate so I'm going to conclude that the metal case does not have an effect on cell service. If it does it is very minimal and probably not noticeable. This probably explains why the SpeedTest results above didn't really give any conclusion on whether the metal band affected data speed.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68030
Feb 24, 2009
So I've been reading comments both saying that the iPhone 6 Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Case does and does not have an effect on signal strength. Therefore, I conducted a test to finally get a solid conclusion. I used the SpeedTest App to test my WIFI speed with and without the case on and got the following results:

Without Case 1st Time:
4.94, 1.59
3.80, .68
3.73, .37
3.93, 1.62
4.89, 2.67

I then put on the case:
2.15, .55
2.72, .50
4.35, .34
2.24, 1.28
1.68, .28

5.21, 3.44
4.51, 1.77
3.68, .65
3.65, 0.54

Clearly by these numbers we can conclude that the case has an effect at least on WIFI signal by about 1-2 Mbps. Just thought you guys might be interested to see the results.

Good test.

I'll pass.

Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
It seems cellular isn't impacted as much. i assume the top 3 are without case. The bottom 3 are with case.
Some without case are the lowest and two with case are second highest.

You are right, the top 3 are without the case. Yes it definitely seems that WIFI is impacted much more than cellular, which isn't a good thing either.

Comment

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
You are right, the top 3 are without the case. Yes it definitely seems that WIFI is impacted much more than cellular, which isn't a good thing either.

Thanks for the input. Finally definitive answers. Looking forward to your input on the Verus bumper.

Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Field test mode is the best way to see if the case has an affect on carrier signal strength.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/20/field-test-mode-iphone-signal-strength-numbers/

From what I understand this only works will cell signal correct? I don't think it would help with judging wifi strength, which is what I am mainly concerned with.

Thanks for the input. Finally definitive answers. Looking forward to your input on the Verus bumper.

I will make sure to let you know! Hoping for better results as I really like the look of it.

Comment

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
From what I understand this only works will cell signal correct? I don't think it would help with judging wifi strength, which is what I am mainly concerned with.

I will make sure to let you know! Hoping for better results as I really like the look of it.

Correct, only works for cell signal. Odd that it would affect wifi so much since the wifi antenna is the top band, I believe.

Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Correct, only works for cell signal. Odd that it would affect wifi so much since the wifi antenna is the top band, I believe.

Yes I agree. I will try the cell signal test you mentioned later today. Do you know of any way to better measure wifi strength?

Comment

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Yes I agree. I will try the cell signal test you mentioned later today. Do you know of any way to better measure wifi strength?

I don't know of any app that can do that. I have iStumbler for my mac that does that, but they do not have an iPhone app.

Comment

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010
Here's the quick test I did with the Versus case using Speedtest app and also the fieldtest with and without the case on.
Top 3 results are with the case on and in the fieldtest -98db is without the case on. So It looks like it affect the reception somewhat.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.PNG
    IMG_0790.PNG
    423.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0788.PNG
    IMG_0788.PNG
    50.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0789.PNG
    IMG_0789.PNG
    49.8 KB · Views: 293
Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Here's the quick test I did with the Versus case using Speedtest app and also the fieldtest with and without the case on.
Top 3 results are with the case on and in the fieldtest -98db is without the case on. So It looks like it affect the reception somewhat.

Interesting results. Were you in the exact same spot when doing the field test? I found that when I was putting on the metal case the field test went up, but once I got the case fixed and on correctly and set the phone down the field test went right back down to where it was at with the case off. You have much larger wifi differences than I had though. Do you actually notice any difference while using it or is it just numbers?

Comment

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010
Yes I had it in the exact same location. Just received the phone today. I didn't really use it yet , just did a quick test.

Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Yes I had it in the exact same location. Just received the phone today. I didn't really use it yet , just did a quick test.

Oh okay. I'm scared to get my Versus then haha. I'm hoping these are just coincidental results but we'll have to see what the overall performance is like over a few days. I wish there was a way to better test the WIFI because doing a speed test isn't very accurate.

Comment

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have a simple clear back tpu case on my 6+ and there is a difference in speeds with the case on and off.

Apple made the effort to put 2 antenna bands on the phone, which are ugly I might add, and this should not be happening.

At least not in a significant way.

#ReceptionGate

Comment

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I have a simple clear back tpu case on my 6+ and there is a difference in speeds with the case on and off.

Apple made the effort to put 2 antenna bands on the phone, which are ugly I might add, and this should not be happening.

At least not in a significant way.

#ReceptionGate

I was thinking about this as well. It could be that the TPU is also causing a decrease in signal strength since the bands are on the back. Should affect it much though but there is a chance.

Comment

DougMcF

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016

Without Case 1st Time:
4.94, 1.59
3.80, .68
3.73, .37
3.93, 1.62
4.89, 2.67

I then put on the case:
2.15, .55
2.72, .50
4.35, .34
2.24, 1.28
1.68, .28

5.21, 3.44
4.51, 1.77
3.68, .65
3.65, 0.54

UPDATE 1: Ran another test for WIFI and Cell Data. Bottom 3 on each list are with the case and top 3 are without. Take of it what you will lol. The Versus Metal case should be here soon so I am hoping that the Versus is somehow better, at least for WIFI.

IMG_6008_zps0b473314.png

IMG_6009_zpsa57af367.png

UPDATE 2: I did the field test (mentioned below) with and without the metal band and it seemed to stay just about the same if not exactly the same. This test seems very accurate so I'm going to conclude that the metal case does not have an effect on cell service. If it does it is very minimal and probably not noticeable. This probably explains why the SpeedTest results above didn't really give any conclusion on whether the metal band affected data speed.
[doublepost=1460486290][/doublepost]Definitely an impact. One week into using the new case (moved from a pelican phone case) and the cellular signal is dramatically limited compared to all prior use. I haven't noticed wifi as much because of multiple access points, etc....but cellular is a significant and noticeable change. That's unfortunate too because the aesthetics of the case are terrific, looks great,slim and minimal bulk, but the signal degradation is obvious and a huge disappointment.

Reactions: Nancy bout
Comment

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
[doublepost=1460486290][/doublepost]Definitely an impact. One week into using the new case (moved from a pelican phone case) and the cellular signal is dramatically limited compared to all prior use. I haven't noticed wifi as much because of multiple access points, etc....but cellular is a significant and noticeable change. That's unfortunate too because the aesthetics of the case are terrific, looks great,slim and minimal bulk, but the signal degradation is obvious and a huge disappointment.
Welcome to the forums, but as a general piece of advice, please check time stamps before replying to posts, as you just replied to a message that was posted 19 months ago.

Reactions: ABC5S
Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Still useful though, since the iPhone 6 design (and therefore, the 6s), and the case in question, is still being sold today for that phone!

Besides, it's not like all he said was "OK thanks!" or something. It's not thread necrophilia if he contributed!

Reactions: ryanw183
Comment

madeira83

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
I've should have read this before purchasing. I have the same case with the metal bumper and i use apple pay and its always a hit or a miss for months, but mostly a miss, getting it to work and i had no idea why and i took the case off one day and it instantly worked and has been continuously working and haven't had an issue with the NFC since.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.