Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Signal/Reception Test

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bobbydd21, Sep 26, 2014.

1. bobbydd21, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

bobbydd21 macrumors regular

So I've been reading comments both saying that the iPhone 6 Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Case does and does not have an effect on signal strength. Therefore, I conducted a test to finally get a solid conclusion. I used the SpeedTest App to test my WIFI speed with and without the case on and got the following results:

Without Case 1st Time:
    (download speed in Mbps, upload speed in Mbps)
    4.94, 1.59
    3.80, .68
    3.73, .37
    3.93, 1.62
    4.89, 2.67

I then put on the case:
    2.15, .55
    2.72, .50
    4.35, .34
    2.24, 1.28
    1.68, .28

And finally took off the case again:
    5.21, 3.44
    4.51, 1.77
    3.68, .65
    3.65, 0.54

Clearly by these numbers we can conclude that the case has an effect at least on WIFI signal by about 1-2 Mbps. Just thought you guys might be interested to see the results.

UPDATE 1: Ran another test for WIFI and Cell Data. Bottom 3 on each list are with the case and top 3 are without. Take of it what you will lol. The Versus Metal case should be here soon so I am hoping that the Versus is somehow better, at least for WIFI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 2: I did the field test (mentioned below) with and without the metal band and it seemed to stay just about the same if not exactly the same. This test seems very accurate so I'm going to conclude that the metal case does not have an effect on cell service. If it does it is very minimal and probably not noticeable. This probably explains why the SpeedTest results above didn't really give any conclusion on whether the metal band affected data speed.

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Good test.

I'll pass.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

A more important test is cellular speed impacts

4. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

Just ran one.

5. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

It seems cellular isn't impacted as much. i assume the top 3 are without case. The bottom 3 are with case.
    Some without case are the lowest and two with case are second highest.

6. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

You are right, the top 3 are without the case. Yes it definitely seems that WIFI is impacted much more than cellular, which isn't a good thing either.

7. wxman2003 Suspended

8. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

Thanks for the input. Finally definitive answers. Looking forward to your input on the Verus bumper.

9. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

From what I understand this only works will cell signal correct? I don't think it would help with judging wifi strength, which is what I am mainly concerned with.

I will make sure to let you know! Hoping for better results as I really like the look of it.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

Correct, only works for cell signal. Odd that it would affect wifi so much since the wifi antenna is the top band, I believe.

11. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I agree. I will try the cell signal test you mentioned later today. Do you know of any way to better measure wifi strength?

12. wxman2003 Suspended

I don't know of any app that can do that. I have iStumbler for my mac that does that, but they do not have an iPhone app.

13. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

14. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

Here's the quick test I did with the Versus case using Speedtest app and also the fieldtest with and without the case on.
    Top 3 results are with the case on and in the fieldtest -98db is without the case on. So It looks like it affect the reception somewhat.

Attached Files:

15. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting results. Were you in the exact same spot when doing the field test? I found that when I was putting on the metal case the field test went up, but once I got the case fixed and on correctly and set the phone down the field test went right back down to where it was at with the case off. You have much larger wifi differences than I had though. Do you actually notice any difference while using it or is it just numbers?

16. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

Yes I had it in the exact same location. Just received the phone today. I didn't really use it yet , just did a quick test.

17. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh okay. I'm scared to get my Versus then haha. I'm hoping these are just coincidental results but we'll have to see what the overall performance is like over a few days. I wish there was a way to better test the WIFI because doing a speed test isn't very accurate.

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have a simple clear back tpu case on my 6+ and there is a difference in speeds with the case on and off.

Apple made the effort to put 2 antenna bands on the phone, which are ugly I might add, and this should not be happening.

At least not in a significant way.

#ReceptionGate

19. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking about this as well. It could be that the TPU is also causing a decrease in signal strength since the bands are on the back. Should affect it much though but there is a chance.

20. DougMcF macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2016 ---
    Definitely an impact. One week into using the new case (moved from a pelican phone case) and the cellular signal is dramatically limited compared to all prior use. I haven't noticed wifi as much because of multiple access points, etc....but cellular is a significant and noticeable change. That's unfortunate too because the aesthetics of the case are terrific, looks great,slim and minimal bulk, but the signal degradation is obvious and a huge disappointment.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Welcome to the forums, but as a general piece of advice, please check time stamps before replying to posts, as you just replied to a message that was posted 19 months ago.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Still useful though, since the iPhone 6 design (and therefore, the 6s), and the case in question, is still being sold today for that phone!

Besides, it's not like all he said was "OK thanks!" or something. It's not thread necrophilia if he contributed!

23. madeira83 macrumors newbie

I've should have read this before purchasing. I have the same case with the metal bumper and i use apple pay and its always a hit or a miss for months, but mostly a miss, getting it to work and i had no idea why and i took the case off one day and it instantly worked and has been continuously working and haven't had an issue with the NFC since.