SPIGEN [PICS] iPhone 5 Case New Hybrid EX Snow Series

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by unknownsolo, Oct 11, 2012.

1. unknownsolo macrumors newbie

I bought the Spigen iPhone 5 Case Neo Hybrid Snow Series (Satin Silver) and would like to share some photos with you and thoughts.

Please keep in mind that I did not apply the front screen protector. I only applied the back 3 piece protectors and the bumper, no front screen protector. I thought it is not really needed. the bumper seems to be enough to protect the phone from drops and shocks and the screen is gorilla glass anyways and not easily scratched!

I love this bumper so much that if it breaks or anything happens to it, I would buy it again! This is the Satin Silver edition, the silver on the sides is the exact same color as the iPhone aluminum. The white part as you can see in the pictures is the exact same color as the iPhone white part, keeping all colors the same makes this even a nicer bumper.

It is very solid, once installed, it becomes one solid piece with the iPhone, the buttons easily press and "clicks" too just like without a case. Ive noticed with some cases the buttons either becomes hard to press, or too easy to press by mistake. But with this bumper, it almost have the same button response and clicks like without a case.

As for the back protectors, I am really not sure where to start. the matte part in the middle to protect the aluminium, once installed, you can not even tell its there, I did not even have any bubbles around the apple logo or the text at the bottom, it fit so well and feels so good, sometimes I have to look twice to notice it there! it also feels a little different than the top and bottom protectors to imitate the naked iPhone feel.

The top and bottom protectors are also good, super soft to imitate that glass feel, they fit super easy and the cutouts are very accurate!

Overall I love this bumper and honestly I feel like I should have had it since day one the iPhone came out. it is very solid, quality is superb and the colors are exactly the same as the iPhone colors keeping the iPhone with the same naked look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Looks great. Is there any chance of the rubber part discolouring from dirt?

I'm waiting out for the linear ex, which is spigens hard shell version of this

3. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

nice. just got my shipping confirmation for the black version. can't wait.

4. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Have you had the case pop out when taking it out of your pocket?

5. unknownsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly it is too early to tell if the rubber part will discolor or not, but it is made out of good quality and I really doubt it will discolor anytime soon.

----------

The bumper hugs the iPhone real tight, there is no way it is popping out unless you actually pull on it to pop it out

6. Minhthien macrumors 6502

what material is the sliver part? is it aluminum?

7. unknownsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

No, its hard plastic, but has the exact same color as the aluminum part of the iPhone

8. shebalord macrumors newbie

9. unknownsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

:)

10. jkfb123456 macrumors newbie

Did you have to really press to avoid bubbling around the logo and text, or was it easy to install?

11. unknownsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

the back pieces are dry install, i did the top and bottom pieces dry, but the middle section (which i did first btw) I did a wet install there, only reason is so i can move it around and align it better once put. I found it a little tough to align it exactly right with the right amount of space from each side (I am a little picky about alignments) It took me a while to get it aligned exactly right, but basically once u put it on, all the bubbles work their way out, no bubbles at all around apple logo or the text at the bottom.

12. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Could you explain the steps you took for a successful wet install? As in did you just use water, water + soap, what kind of soap etc? The bubbling around the logo and text is what has me turned off, but if that can be solved.. we may have a winner :)

13. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I received this few days ago and also posted pics of it. I also love this case! It's so beautiful and the colors look so similar to the naked iPhone 5. I think this bumper is actually thinner than their iPhone 4 version. Very sleek and keeps my phone protected with the front, back protector and the bumpers! Love it! :D

14. unknownsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, the top and bottom parts are super easy to install and only takes 1 min each! you just lay it on (dry) and it just fits. No problem there.

The middle part! in my case, I did that first, before the top and bottom parts. it is also a dry install, I wiped the iPhone as clean as possible, tried to do a dry install, by the time I was done with it, the alignment was a tiny bit off, which annoyed the hell out of me, so i decided to remove it and re-apply it. When I removed it, it had dust stuck to it from the inside. What I did was I used dish washing soap (Gain Ultra Lavender Scent - to be more specific :p) poured the soap directly on it, smudged it everywhere with my fingers, then washed it clean under the sink faucet with room temperature water, then right away I re-applied the piece back on while it was still wet, it was easier to realign when wet and pushed any remaining bubbles out. Did not really try so hard to push the bubbles out, they kind of just work their way out when you press near them.

the way the middle piece is made, make it hard for any bubbles to stay, even around the logo, not sure how to explain it right, but it is different material than the top and bottom pieces. I assume, if the middle piece was the same material as the top and bottom pieces, then you would get bubbles around the logo and text, but since this is some kind of matte finish, it sticks right on with no bubbles, hope this helps.

I can take more close up pics around the apple logo if you want, but it will have to wait till after the weekend, Im going to Maui this weekend ;)

----------

ikr :) im so glad i purchased this, honestly it is the best ive tried so far.

Tried incipio, griffin reveal (horrible), speck, belkin TPU, that generic bumper for iPhone 5 from target. all of those were returned almost right away, but this one is def. staying :D

15. jpcapili macrumors newbie

I have the Griffin clear case with white bumper that looks like the Spigen's. The white rubber starts becoming yellow and little hint of blue because I put it in my jeans' pocket. Do you think this would happen to the hybrid ex snow?

16. unknownsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think so, spigen's rubber part of the bumper is little different than griffin's, it feels better quality and is glossy, you can just wipe it off.

Griffin's feels like a soft sand paper! had the same case, returned it to BB right away.

17. Iphone 2.2 macrumors member

i like it, but i think it would of looked nicer if the factory volume buttons were exposed apposed to being covered. But a really nice case though.

18. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

That helped immensely, thank you so much ^^.

No need for pictures from my end, enjoy your Maui weekend vacation :)

19. Giuly, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

20. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Just a quick question. Approximately how much width would you say it adds to your iPhone?

I personally did not like the bumpers Apple did for the 4/4S, is this similar to that?

Thanks

21. Clodey macrumors member

Based from measuring the gaps for the volume mute button and the pin connector, I would say roughly 1mm so 2mm extra to your phone.

Initial impressions for me were that it was a bit chunky but it has grown on me and now I think it is a perfect size.

22. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

1. How do you install it? Is the frame one solid piece and you just snap the phone in?

2. Does it diminish reception?

23. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Thanks for the review and pics of this, just pulled the plug and ordered one.

Will be following your wet install as well, as i'm pants at putting these protectors on :D

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. Put rubber around phone, snap plastic around rubber.

2. No, plastic/rubber are RF invisible.

----------

All the bumpers I've found, and by reports from another poster elsewhere, this one from SPIGEN is the same.

They are all the same width as the iPhone 4 bumpers, which makes the lip much larger because the new phone is thinner.

25. unknownsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, good luck with it, I hope the wet install will help ;)