SPIGEN SGP Glas't for the new iPad - advice and opinions

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by rjbeh, May 16, 2012.

1. rjbeh macrumors regular

Hey guys, just bought the glas't for my new iPad, installed it, perfect installation BUT.... caught 2 specks of dust under the glas't! :eek: any advice on how to remove them? Your advices and opinions will be highly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Breezer23 macrumors member

They have pretty good customer service. I'd start there.

3. 7racer macrumors regular

I think I have two specks too. I was super diligent with the procedure and did it right after I cleaned the surfaces.

I thought it was air bubbles but these haven't gone away. I sent an email and pic to spigen and they suggested to wait a bit longer. I also inquired about trying to lift it back up but they only suggested that I could buy a replacement. I didn't press him on lifting the film up yet and will wait a couple more days.

The dust specks (if that is really what that is and not trapped bubbles) isn't what bothers me. On the very edge of the screen, it looks like the film is "up". That is you can see a bubble on the edge. I have flatten it and rubbed it down and even used a hair dryer like they recommended...but it won't go away. Kinda looks tacky for such an expensive and nice screen film to have the edges not lay flat!

Having a glass protector gives a gorgeous view of the retina display but those parts makes it super annoying added on top of the large premium for this film.

FWIW, I also got the film for the iPhone and it went on great!

4. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I really want to purchase this but I am horrible at installing this which is what is keeping me from picking one up. I am not willing to pay $70 to mess up and toss it.

5. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I got one for my 4s. I was going to get on for my iPad but I'm not.

If you do decided to purchase, then pay with an AMEX to protect yourself. They are having issues and getting lots of returns and warranty requests.

The product is a nice idea but the execution is poor. It goes on great but after a while the adhesive starts to fail and you end up with blemishes that grow.

Working with their customer service is frustrating but they are trying. I see that they are caught in a tough spot but it doesn't make for great customer relations.

They sent a lot of these out to get positive reviews and Buzz. Now that there are issues no one is going back and update their reviews...i think iLounge was the only one to update about cracks when rolling a neekid 4s.

Since it is north of $70 bucks you'll want perfection. Since the chances are high you won't get perfection you need to figure out if you're willing to waste the $70 or go through the frustration of dealing with their customer service.

Read the reviews. DO YOUR RESEARCH before plunking down the $70. Make sure you are fully informed. Contact the folks that have done reviews and ask them for updates.

The adhesive failure usually shows after 30 days. So you may need to wait a bit to see the buzz on real world usage.

For installation. I recommend using a VERY XL LARGE ziploc bag or something of that ilk. I used one I put 4 short cocktail glasses in it to give the plastic lift so I had room to work. I used the ones that are like 2ft by 2ft i think. It was like a mini clean room for my 4s.

If you get debris under it during the install it will be very difficult for you to remove if at all.

If there are no problems with the install and after 30 days no adhesive failure you will probably love the product.

6. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

For purchasing with an Amex, are you talking about so in case it fails you can return it to Amex using the return protection? Would Amex even accept this as a return, it's simple a piece of glass. Good idea though, might consider this.

7. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

U can use AMEX to dispute if they won't give you a refund. I think also if there is accidental breakage on your part you can use purchase protection. If the product fails you may have some warranty protection too.

$70 isn't chump change for an accessory. You can get a crystal screen protector for less than half the price with shipping and be able to lift it to get out debris.

I purchased my first glas.t and it had debris. It was my fault so I took it off way before 30 days and bought another. I used my ziploc clean room with the second and it went on perfect except there were bubbles on the edge because the adhesive didn't go all the way to the edge. SGP replaced that one with no problem. I was happy with the replacement install until 30 days later bubbles appeared...then spread far from the edges. When I contacted SGP they gave me grief. Personally, I think they had a couple of bad batches...all those customers wanted replacements and it totally jacked them up.

So, to protect themselves they said I needed to send in first replacement that failed along with the second...(they never told me to keep the first).

Then they had to ask the managers for an exemption because no one told me to retain the first. I sent in pictures and videos. Its been weeks. They are sending me a replacement in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately my relationship with them is strained and I'll never buy from them again.

So unless you just want to take a chance go ahead but protect your purchase unless $70 is no biggie. But if you can wait a bit...get a cheap crystal SP & wait till other users have had 60 days of usage and then check the reviews.

The ipad version has not been out for 30 days yet so I don't think you'll get a clear view of how it wears with real world usage.

SGP did a great job sending out tons to get buzz and positive reviews...but almost none have come back to update on their experience over time.

Just beware.

8. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info. Im not really willing to try my $70 on a screen protector. I think I'm gonna just use my iPad without a screen protector, I have the apple protection plus anyway. I think I'd rather replace the iPad for 50 then spend 70 on a screen protector.

9. 7racer macrumors regular

Xultar,

thanks for the info. The edge problem that you are seeing is probably the same issue I am having. Never thought it was an adhesive issue, just thought I didn't get it to contact down but this makes sense.

Probably will keep progressing then and get bubbles...BLAH...
    or Bubble.s in Spigen speech :p LOL trying to add humor to this

10. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I had the same issues, emailed them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Now I have 2 :)

Have the Glas.t on my iPhone and it's by far the best screen protector I've ever used. No fingerprints, smooth, no scratches.

11. rmecsw macrumors member

Glas.t

I ordered mine through Amazon and they were fantastic in getting me a refund. I had the same problems others had mentioned; specks of dust under the screen, resulting in dimples on the screen. After 7 or 8 emails to Spiegen, ( who were quick to point out it was a user install problem, not theirs) Amazon came to the rescue: I since have purchased power support glossy film, and it is perfect, no installation issues.

12. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Is that why they are giving the rest of us a hard time, because some people have 2 after they request and receive a replacement?

I get angry when people with legitimate issues have frustrations with vendors because they know some folks are getting over.

just my 2 cents.

13. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Getting over? Are you saying my issues are not legitimate? Am I a liar? Hardly. If you saw what my protector looks like, you'd freak out more.

I took pictures and uploaded them to SGP/Amazon showing the issue immediately. SGP in turn acknowledged the issue on my particular screen protector and offered a replacement. ONE EMAIL to them, ONE RESPONSE.

That said, I now deal with an installed screen protector with some streaks and bubbles because I don't want to put the other one on YET.

I have been buying SGP products since iPhone 3g and have never had an issue with their customer service.

----------

Specks of dust are a user install issue, that's why SGP wouldn't refund. It's very difficult to install a screen protector that size without getting some dust specs. I've become pretty good at it, but I still get a few.

The issue I have is that the silicone adhesive at the very edge of the protector won't stick. It's a bummer.

Amazon rules! Glad they refunded you.

14. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I'm sorry. U seemed excited when you said u had 2.

15. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Has anybody used the ipad glas.t together with the otterbox defender? I'm not sure if the thickness of the glas.t would work well with my particular case.

16. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Good question! I would like to know this as well!

17. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

Honestly AppleCare probably makes more sense than glast

18. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Seems like it would be for the ipad. I still want to try at least one glas.t product on my ipad mini or iphone. The thing thatscares me is if you misalign it during the install you are screwed.

19. dinggus macrumors 65816

What would be the point in having glas.t, if it's in the otterbox defender.

20. Minhthien macrumors 6502

You can remove and re-applied couple times but the glues does get weaker and some air bubble will be there,
    otterbox defender's screen protector isn't good enough.

21. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

The defender's built-in screen protector is complete garbage. It's a flimsy piece of plastic that causes an oil slick / rainbow effect, provides a terrible feel, and wont' even protect the screen from sharp objects. They'd just pierce the plastic and scratch the screen.

One would remove that garbage screen protector and install the glas.t.

The glas.t surface is real glass, just like the ipad's actual surface.

22. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Is it just me or does $70 seem insane to be paying for a screen protector?

23. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

I just ordered the Steinhall series Crystal Clear protector from Spigen last night. Didn't want to spend the $70.00:cool:

24. Ajtrek, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

Ajtrek macrumors newbie

Overall a great product...but read my comments

I was excited to get this product and overall I'm very pleased. Tactile touch and sensitivity are the same as if no protector were installed...excellent! I'd recommend the Glas.t screen protector to anyone looking for high quality protection that is second to none.

You should know that unless you live in a vacuum you will most certainly finish installation with a bit of lint trapped somewhere under the protector. I was fortunate in that I only had a trace of lint in the very lower right corner of the screen. No one else would notice it except that I know it's there, but it's not enough to make me dislike the installation.

Here are a few hints...
    Follow The Directions. I recommend practicing installation a few times before you remove the film layers. You might also wear latex gloves (as did I) during installation just to be sure you don't transfer any body oils or finger prints to the adhesive side of the protector.

Know that the Glas.t does not fit the screen edge to edge. It's probably about 1/16th of an inch smaller than the coverage area. The Home Button opening is slightly larger than the actual button itself. I used the inner diameter of the opening of the Glas.t to assist with aligning the protector for installation and subsequently shifted the Glas.t slightly to the right. Which means that the Home Button opening is flush against the left edge but slightly off on the right. Nothing to be overly concerned about.

On a 5 Star rating system for Design, Value and Quality...

I rated the Glas.t 4 Stars for Design - Had Spigen incorporated "cross-hairs" on the outside film layer to assist with aligning the Home Button and made mention of the fact that it's slightly larger than the one on the iPad I'm sure it would have helped me to align the protector more accurately. Also they could place an "arrow" at the top on the outside film layer to target the front facing camera as an alignment point. Little details that shouldn't cost to a point that it would justify raising the price and IMO would make for a smoother installation. Are you listening Spigen?

I rated it 4 Stars for Value - A price point of $49 to $59 would be more appealing. Just wishful thinking.

I rated it 5 Stars for Quality - As I said in the beginning it's second to none. You can't get any better protection than the Glas.t!

One last bit of information. Without going into a lot of detail as I asked Spigen if they knew the answer and they didn't (not their fault).....but some of you will be glad to know that having the Glas.t installed does not prohibit the use of an iSkin Solo cover in conjunction with the iPad Smart Cover. Everything fits and works perfectly!