Spigen Tough Armor case do not feel as safe as last years.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Apollo 13, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I have a Tough Armor case for the iphone 6 and and barely has any lip to it compared to my 5's version. I actually feel like if I drop my phone face first it may not even survive. Anyone else notice this that actually have their both phones and cases on them?

2. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

I don't have last year's case, but this year's 6 plus case also worries me with the lack of lip. I think I'll be going back to Speck products when their cases come out.

3. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Once I get my phone and try the new case I'll know if I want to keep it. Loved last years edition and will say I felt this years seemed a bit thin in spots.

4. Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even the hard plastic plate is thinner

5. Trebuin, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

This is the regular 6, not the 6+ correct? I have last years model and am looking at buying one for the 6. I have yet to order the iPhone 6 yet. I'm also looking at the slim armor as an option, but the Tough Armor did great in the 5/5s drop test, plus it has saved me once already. I'd like to see what that lip looks like now.

Iphone 5/5s lip was 1.5mm, I'm looking up the 6 model now.

The 6 Model has only .6mm according to the site...that's for the face side, not the back side.

This is really surprising, put on their glass protector which is .4mm and you have only .2mm left of space. I think I'm going to shoot them an email

The Neo Hybrid has the most at .8mm, still a concern. I shot an email off to support addressing the .2mm clearance with the use of the glas.tr. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

From what I'm seeing in the cross cuts, it looks like it was originally designed for a bit more clearance, but the iPhone 6 curves out around .7mm which cuts out on the protection. I checked at Verus which makes a similar case and it has the same issue, even less clearance than spigen. I might want to wait for a drop test.

6. Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel played...I was expecting the case to have 1.5mm of lip like the last case. I remember even seeing that on Amazons site. They rushed this to the market without proper measurements. This is a slim model case now and not very protective.

7. ozshadow macrumors regular

I was just about to post the exact same thing about the Slim Armor. Barely any facial lip. I miss the Otterbox Commuter thick soft rubber lip.

The minimal amount on the Spigen is only enough for laying it face down to keep it off the table. A drop would be bad.

Once I add the Zagg Glass, it might even touch.

8. kingtj macrumors 68020

Is it just me? I bought a Tough Armor for my 5s a couple months ago and absolutely hated the quality of it. Sure, it looked great when brand new, and protected the phone well. But that colored plastic back plate on it was just spray painted - and the gold paint on mine scraped off and scratched up within a couple days of use!

9. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

While I did not have the 5S Tough Armor for comparison I did have the Slim Armor S and as far as the lip goes the 6 Plus Tough Armor appears to have a little more of a lip. Its definitely not much. I have the Slim and Tough Armor for the 6 Plus at the moment and I think I will be sending the Slim back. Regardless of the lip, the Tough Armor has the better feel in the hand due to it being more boxy and it has those nubs on the corners of the back to keep it off the table and getting all scratched up. I can't remember the last time I even dropped a phone. I use a case for piece of mind so the size of the lip around the glass doesn't concern me too much.

10. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I have to agree with everyone's comments. I also have the tough armor on my iPhone 5s along with the Glass.tr and it was more rugged and protected. The tough armor for the iPhone 6 feels more like a slim armor case. The case is nice but I don't feel as confident as I did with my 5s version.

11. tony85 macrumors newbie

Anyone find it a bit sharp round the bottom ports?

I like this case but wanted the 1.5mm lip not 0.8mm. says 1.5 in the listings then when u get it 0.8 on the box. Thats not on. Ordered from amazon is there a way to contact spigen through amazon about this?

How do returns work on amazon do u have to pay postage?