Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I'm a massive case junkie and owned far too many for my 5. With my new 6 Plus, I'd love to calm my insatiable need for the perfect phone case.

Only problem is - it appears my go-to brand that I finally landed on last year (Spigen) seems to have numerous bad reviews floating around regarding their new lines of cases. Which hurts, because the NeoHybrid looks better than almost anything out there. Does anyone around here own a new Spigen and think favorably of it, or is the button issue just too much to ignore? Sounds like a pain.

I bought an over-expensive Incipio at the AT&T Store on launch day. I hate the aesthetics of it, but it seems fairly protective and the buttons feel great.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I have not noticed a decrease in quality. I think perhaps a few bad apples and internet hype have exaggerated this?

I have several 6 cases and they look like Spigen quality cases.

No problems here

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I think it is premature to make this assertion. They designed and produced these cases and screen protectors before the phone was actually released. What did people expect?

My capsule is working fine, and is comparable to previous generations of products from them.

Customer support is questionable, but that has always been the case.

PixieGirl

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
My Spigen air cushion for my iPhone plus works great and I had no problems with receiving it but I also ordered it thru Amazon. This case looks like the same quality as all my other spigen cases.

Last edited:

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Order only through Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon. This will mean you get the product in a timely manner.

Neo hybrids do have button problems and can be fixed if you want to.

The Tough armor that I ordered fits great and buttons work fine but the lip is smaller/thinner than the Iphone 5 and not what they advertise.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
I bought three Spigen cases, a Tough Armor and a Neo Hybrid, both for my 6 plus, and a capsule for my wife's 6. I'm not particularly impressed with any of them. The Neo Hybrid seems about the best and the most usable, but even it lacks much of a lip above the screen to protect against face down drops. The Tough Armor has almost no lip at all, and the Capsule fits badly and has no lip extending above the screen. I accept that all of this may be because the cases were released early, and must have been designed without confirmed physical specifications, I guess?

I've had Speck cases, and those have impressed me very much in the past. I think I'm going back to Speck.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Once I installed the little 'stabilizer', my Neo Hybrid works fine. The top volume button still isn't as 'clicky' as the bottom, but it works just fine. Still, while waiting for the stabilizer, I got the Apple black (dark gray) silicone case, and I really like that, so I'm using that one for now. I am keeping the Neo Hybrid for times I want to change things up.

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I got the Apple black (dark gray) silicone case, and I really like that, so I'm using that one for now.

I may wait to buy a Spigen until the stabilizers are completely implemented in their products.

But I'm really, really surprised at the high marks both Apple's cases are getting. I tried out a leather one for the 5 and it felt like it was barely going to even stay on it. Returned immediately.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
The Apple silicon case is very nice. Best I have felt so far. Returned the leather.

The edges are stiff, so they don't bow as some cases do. There is also a small lip for on table protection

alice.c

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
Yeah, they really cussed up with the fake reviews for their products that they made. I ended up buying (and really enjoying) my OctoArmor case from TechMatte. It's pretty slick, and looks fairly similar to the Spigen ones. It was on special for $5 when I bought it, and it still looks like it's five bucks.

complete agree with the fake review

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Another good experience here. Bought the Thin Fit for my iPhone 6 before the phone was even out. Arrived in 3 days and fit perfect on my phone. Absolutely no problems here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.