Spill (Accidental Damage) MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marchhair, Mar 5, 2008.

1. marchhair macrumors newbie

Hello

UK 15" MacBook Pro user. Had an accident involving a smoothie, spilled it over the keyboard. I took the keys off and cleaned as much as I could, but it went deeper than that - (to top it off, I broke the shift key and part of the F11 key.)

I have AppleCare, and know that it doesn't cover accidental damage, my family has household insurance but the Mac isn't on it anywhere.

Does anyone have advice? The F11 key can't be replaced, can it? Because it can't be taken off, right?

The computer still works fine, but the key stick incredibly and stay down for a while - there is an Apple store I could go to - but do they offer repair? That would be within a students budget?

Thank you incredibly!

- Kyle

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

well that stinks-- you can bring it to a store and get a quote for the repair, but it may be a bit expensive--

3. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

If the liquid got past the keyboard i would turn it off now to avoid damaging the rest of your mbp even more.

I cant think of the proper thing to do with spills, but do a search and you should find instructions on here on what to do.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I think your best bet is to call Apple without disclosing any of your information and ask them what the options are for your situation. It's all in the way you talk to the representatives. good luck :)

5. marchhair thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It was last night it happened and I turned it off straight away. It's working fine other than the keys sticking. I've looked through the forum and can't find much help other than "You're screwed." If I take the keyboard out does void my warranty, yeah? Also, has me spilling this on it voided my warranty?

Anyone know how to fix the F keys either?