Spill advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meringues, Feb 16, 2011.

1. meringues macrumors member

Ok here's the deal.

On Sunday, I spilled some ginger ale on the right corner of my Late 2008 MBP. Most of the spill hit the table. Some of it hit the computer itself on the right corner and keyboard.

Within 3 seconds, the computer was flipped over, the power unplugged, and the battery removed.

Since then, I have left it alone drying out, trying to figure out what to do.

Today, I opened it up. My main goal was to see if any of the liquid had seeped through the speaker holes. I'm almost 100% sure that none of it did. No trace of any of the sugary stuff on the speaker or CD ROM drive. I'm also fairly sure that none of the liquid got through the keyboard because there was a cover on it and the keys aren't sticky at all.

That leaves the rear air vent. now, I can definitely tell that some of the liquid got through the vents. So that leaves the questions of whether the liquid (1) went far enough left to get to the logic board and (2) was high enough to have surpassed the vent and gotten to the logic board if i went far enough left.

I'm trying to figure out what to do at this point. As far as I can tell, the computer was still running fine when I completely cut power to it. Should I try turning it on, or should I just take it to someone to have the logic board cleaned?

I'm still trying to figure out if my renter's insurance covers accidental damage.

2. BubbaMc macrumors regular

You should have disassembled it immediately and cleaned any spillage. A bit of water will not hurt the electronics.

Corrosion could have well and truly taken hold by now, but i'd take it apart and inspect/clean it anyway, you might be lucky.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

What ??!!
    Damn right it will and the OP said Ginger Beer which is full of sugar and other chemicals.

If you still have warranty then it may well be void if there is any sign of liquid damage.
    If not then I would consider taking it to an independent Apple repairer for assessment as Apple will charge a fortune if repairs are required.

4. Jonze macrumors member

Jonze

I was unfortunate enough to drop a glass of milk on mine about a week ago while it was on (luckily not plugged in).
    Destroyed: System Board, Memory, Processor and its not possible to recover the Hard Drive.
    House Insurance wouldn't cover me :(

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Commiserations both of you. I specifically called my insurance company to verify that my MBP was covered and it is, loss/theft/accidental damage in or away from the house. (Directline UK)