Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DayDreamer666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Uhh...I'd say the amount of coffee that actually got on the keyboard would have been close to a tablespoon or so and the majority of that dripped out while it was flipped over. I also should mention that it spent almost the next 24 hours in a bin of rice.

The laptop has been used everyday since. Most days its on for at least 12 hours out of day.

I've been corresponding with the manager through email lately and this was his response when I asked him to specifically explain the exact nature of the damage:

"To repeat, whenever a logic board is plugged into the connector on your screen, your screen causes transistors on the logic board that control the screen to blow. It ends up that the logic board still works but it can no longer run the screen - although it will run an external screen. Therefore, the logic board is rendered virtually useless.

The damage to the board is that a transistor or resistor on the logic board at the connection to the screen is blown. On careful, magnified observation, you can see a blackened area on all 3 of the boards that we used."

broad

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
just catching up to this now, but again as g-mo and i have explained (hi g-mo!)what you are describing is quite common. the display connector has to be undone in order to remove the display to change the topcase, and its totally possible that when its reconnected if the connector had been corroded it could short. you can't reasonably expect the shop/tech to be responsible for that...at the end of the day they're not the one who spilled liquid on the computer..you are.

if you take a computer in for a new hard drive and the tech breaks something or the machine has a new issue (not existing prior to the repair) when you get it back obviously they should take responsibility and make it right, but this particular issue is related to YOUR action (spilling liquid).

the tech can't see the future and might not even know the corrosion is there until disconnecting the LVDS cable.

sorry i know thats not what you want to hear, but thats the truth.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
just catching up to this now, but again as g-mo and i have explained (hi g-mo!)what you are describing is quite common. the display connector has to be undone in order to remove the display to change the topcase, and its totally possible that when its reconnected if the connector had been corroded it could short. you can't reasonably expect the shop/tech to be responsible for that...at the end of the day they're not the one who spilled liquid on the computer..you are.

if you take a computer in for a new hard drive and the tech breaks something or the machine has a new issue (not existing prior to the repair) when you get it back obviously they should take responsibility and make it right, but this particular issue is related to YOUR action (spilling liquid).

the tech can't see the future and might not even know the corrosion is there until disconnecting the LVDS cable.

sorry i know thats not what you want to hear, but thats the truth.

Is there no way to check if the connector is corroded prior to connecting it?

It is like you crashed your car and while it was being fixed the mechanic tried to force a bent bolt in its fitting, yes the bolt is bent because YOU crashed your car but it is the mechanics job to be smarter than that and use a new one.

Hence, if the person is a qualified technician and was aware that there is the possibility of it shorting, he should have taken the proper precautions.

I dont know enough about fixing a macbook in that condition but the only way it would be acceptable was it there was ABSOLUTELy no way for the technician to tell if the connectorwas corroded or not.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I dont know enough about fixing a macbook in that condition but the only way it would be acceptable was it there was ABSOLUTELy no way for the technician to tell if the connectorwas corroded or not.

There's no way of reliably knowing prior to repair what other damage even a small liquid spill might have caused, and it's not uncommon that liquid spills cause damage that isn't immediately apparent.

broad

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Is there no way to check if the connector is corroded prior to connecting it?

It is like you crashed your car and while it was being fixed the mechanic tried to force a bent bolt in its fitting, yes the bolt is bent because YOU crashed your car but it is the mechanics job to be smarter than that and use a new one.

Hence, if the person is a qualified technician and was aware that there is the possibility of it shorting, he should have taken the proper precautions.

you should probably stop posting then. :)

FYI using your (flawed) analogy, the tech would have told him that he needs a new display, new logic board and new top case (assuming he was even able to see the corrosion).
sounds like an expensive repair, right?...

it also doesn't make a ton of sense to say that to every customer as a blanket statement, as a lot of people are going to be spending a lot of money on parts they don't need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.