Spill Damage - What about my warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wiredrawn, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Wiredrawn macrumors regular

Okay, so here's the deal.

About a week ago I spilt diet coke on my MacBook, and it went over the keyboard, and down the air vents!

It was on at the time, and the Logic Board fried straight away, and my Mac short circuited instantly. For some reason, after stripping it down and taking it to my local Apple dealer, it turned out to work perfectly!

Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that since Coke is corrosive, and liquid damage is a bugger, my MacBook could encounter some problems in the near future.

Basically, I was wondering how this would affect my warranty, because Apple will instantly be able to tell that it is Liquid damaged once they open it up, and probably refuse to touch it under warranty, even if the problem is unrelated to the Spill Damage. I purchased the Apple 3-year Care Plan at the time, and the Mac is about 6 Months old, does this mean that the Care Plan is effectively worthless now, can I still claim on it in the future?

Ta

2. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

That will make it bad in the view of your warranty being of any use. At least it works now though.

3. Wiredrawn thread starter macrumors regular

True, but if the warranty is completely void, then I have 2 1/2 years of useless warranty.

But I was very lucky with the MacBook, although it was insured.