Spill on Macbook Pro + possible NVIDIA/logic board problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blue Pearl, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Blue Pearl macrumors newbie

I bought my Macbook Pro in Augus ’09, but found out it was an '08 model. Over time, it developed a number of operating problems. I have AppleCare and was going to bring it in to be fixed.

Then, I spilled some tea on it---not much, and I didn’t think it got inside. It still worked the same for almost a month. Then it got buggier and buggier, until I couldn’t back it up before it failed.

I brought it in to an AASP, but when they opened it up, they saw evidence of the spill all over. (I knew spills weren’t covered). So they said no repair would be covered. They estimated that it would be $800 or more to replace the HD, possibly repair/replace the logic board, possibly repair the optical drive. I figured that it wasn’t worth it to fix it.

Now I see online that the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors used in these models were defective and caused the logic boards to heat up and fail. So Apple has been replacing both the NVIDIA processor and the logic board for free (unless you get a technician who blames you instead). So I’m thinking that since it worked for a month afterwards, that this was an issue. The problems I was having at the end, some anyway, seemed like the problems caused by the NVIDIA.

I would like to get Apple to replace the NVIDIA and logic board under AppleCare, but I can’t see convincing them to do this, because of the spill. Now they blame every problem on the spill, warranted or not.

Any suggestions? I’m afraid that it would just be a be a losing battle.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Looks bad with the spill, I don't think you have many chances there.

Where did you buy a non-unibody 2008 model in 2009?

3. Blue Pearl thread starter macrumors newbie

Spill on Macbook Pro + possible NVIDIA/logic board problems

At the Apple Store! The sales rep suggested it, because I could swap out batteries that way. It was cheaper, too. Didn't realize it was a '08 model.

I just read a blog from a developer saying he prefers a Lenovo T520 Think Pad using Linux to Macbook Pro's. An interesting feature was that it can withstand spills on the keyboard and is water-resistant!! Wow, that would be nice! This was a VERY expensive mistake.

I'm now trying to decide between the new Air and the new Macbook Pro. I'm leaning towards the Air (much cheaper, too).