spill on mbp and repair from apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zilu01, Nov 18, 2007.

1. zilu01 macrumors newbie

I spilled a small splash of green tea with honey on the keyboard. After drying it everything functions properly except the backlight. Only the middle is lit up and rest is very dim. I removed all the keys and cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol so there is no trace unless you remove the keyboard then disassemble it. I took my laptop to a retail store saying that the backlight does not function properly and the dude looked at it for a few min and said "Ok, no problem your computer is still under warranty and we will replace your keyboard". He said that they didnt have the part in stock so he will have to order it. I told him to give me a call when it arrives then I will drop the mbp off. He gave me a "Genius Bar Work Authorization" which states the parts that has to be replaced and the cost ($0). I signed the paper and off i Went. Is there a chance that they will halt the operation and say i voided my warranty or would it go smoothly. the only affected part is the keyboard's backlight which means they have to open it apart to see the spill. It will be out of their way to actually look for spill damage than just simply replacing the keyboad. What you guys think?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

My guess is that if they see evidence of the spill then they will say that the work is no longer covered under warranty

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There is a sticker that changes from white to pink (or red) when it comes into contact with water (or liquid).
    My guess is that the sticker was somehow unchanged, and so the genius assumed that your mbp was worthy of repair.

If they do find the sticker later and discover that it is pink, they will probably halt repairs and call you back in. They'll probably ask if you're willing to pay for the repair out of pocket.

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Wow, that's cool! How did you know that?

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I had no idea that they did this. Have you actually seen the strip? I haven't seen one in my PB.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There was a story about this a while back regarding iPhones, and several members who happen to be tech heads indicated that most notebooks also possessed them.

Regardless, how else is the genius to prove that it's liquid damage?;)

7. theman macrumors 6502a

Ha, i was just typing a paper today on my new MBP and went to get a nice cup of green tea... i was about to sit down in front of my computer to keep working, but i was like, oh crap, no way, not doing that. so i kept about 15 feet away from my baby until i drank the last drop of it. i strictly follow the 15 foot rule. the one time i did drink near it i held the cup under the table at all times because i was just reading something on the screen. when i wanted to take a sip, i scooted back far away (my chair has wheels on it :)).... so... paranoid....

8. Billy Bob macrumors regular

expect to pay an absolute arm and a leg for the repair, apple will know that it was spilled on mark my words

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It isn't paranoia, it's Murphy out to get you, and see how much money he can squeeze out of your wallet.

10. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

If the costs exceeds 200 i will just buy a new keyboard and replace it myself and live with a voided warranty.

11. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Cell phones have had them for years..........

12. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

If i get the mbp fixed by apple, would i still have my warranty for the remaining time?

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That really depends on how well you can prove that future problems weren't the result of this particular spill. If Apple does discover that you spilled liquid, they will undoubtedly have a record of it. Any future attempts at repair will undoubtedly be met with, "your notebook did sustain a liquid spill some time ago."

14. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see what your saying, but would my warranty status change as a whole from the point i have it repaired? Would I have full warranty after apple repair or partial ( keyboard - 90 days, everything else - regular) or none at all.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm really not sure about this. My guess is that Apple won't tell you, "your warranty has been voided" because they would have to return money to you in that case per most state laws. However, I'll bet that they'll resist any and all repairs in the future. :shrugs: sorry.:eek:

16. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I came up with a brilliant solution. I will install a new keyboard myself instead and call apple and cancel the work. I remember I forgot to put my initials in the agreement so they cant ask me for $100 :D. Since they won't see the spill, my warranty will be still good. Hopefully I leave no traces when replacing the keyboard (Looks do able with all the guides out there). If success, I will still have my warranty.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not really...any time in the future you take it in, the genius will see the sticker. He'll simply give it back to you and say that you've voided the warranty by damaging it with a liquid substance.

18. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not if I replace the keyboard myself. I believe that the sticker you are talking about is in the keyboard assembly itself. When the spill occurred, The inner visible part of the keyboard turned into different colors. I will include some pictures. I also believe that this is Apple's methods of detecting accidental spills. I doubt the led's under the keyboard malfunctioned but rather became less visible due to the change in color of the upper "sticker".

Attached Files:

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmmm...I really don't know where the sticker is, so I suppose you might get lucky. However, I can't offer you any firm advice, as I'm not going to take the flack if it goes wrong (or the credit if it goes right). :eek:

20. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha ofcourse, I am aware of the risks. Knowing the fact that my warranty is void anyways I thought why not give it a shot. Besides, I love opening stuff up and understand the mechanical aspect. I'll keep you guy's updated on what ends up happening. Thanks for all the help.