Spillage disaster!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by martakglr, Sep 9, 2011.

1. martakglr macrumors newbie

About two months after purchasing my beautiful 11inch MBA I managed to spill a mugfull of hot coffee all over it. The machine shut down immediately and I tried to shake off as much of the liquid as I could. I dried it a little with a hairdrier and after about half an hour it turned on.
    HOWEVER now WIFI isn't workng and it is displaying a message saying 'No hardware found'.Does it mean the WIFI card or something is still wet? should I just wait or should I call apple? I know warranty doesn't cover spillage. Could I take it to an Apple Genius? I really don't know what to do. I'm worrying myself sick. I'm only a student, I spent all my savings on this and I do not have the money to repair this.
    Devastated.

2. KPOM, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

KPOM macrumors G5

If it's just the wi-fi, that's actually a separate card on the logic board and might be able to be repaired without replacing the entire logic board.

My suggestion is to take it to a Genius Bar and explain what happened. There are liquid sensors in the case, so just explain that you had a spill and ask for an estimate. If they cover it, fine, if not, at least you'll know what it costs to fix it.

For future reference, once you get it repaired, check with your renter's insurance company (or your parents' if you are still living at home) to see if you can get a personal articles policy. I purchased one for my computer, and it cost $33/year to cover my 11" i7 against accidental damage (with a $250 deductible, but $250 is a lot less than $1795 or $755 to replace the logic board). Apple graciously fixed my 2010 MacBook Air gratis after I spilled some wine on it, but that's entirely at their discretion.

Consider yourself lucky that it still works at all. Water is the kiss of death for anything electronic. :(

Best of luck.

3. martakglr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply.
    It doesn't even turn on anymore D: I'm suspecting it probably won't do so until it's dry on the inside so.. I'm just gonna have to take it to the Genius Bar. This is heartbreaking ugh.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Guaranteed you will never make the same mistake. That's the bright side.

5. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

it actually probably won't ever turn on again. You should have kept it off immediately and not turned it back on for at least a week. liquids fry computer components. Its a hard lesson to learn with a $1K+ computer, but hopefully you'll have some luck with apple.

6. Queen6, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Sorry probably not, your Air is most likely dead, the worst thing you can do is turn on the system if it`s not 100% dry. Damage to the components is generally irrevocable .

Insurance would be a good thing right now, or a Genius with a kind heart; make an appointment and tell Apple exactly what happened and just ask for quotation for repair, you might get lucky several others on this board already have - best of luck...