Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaduce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Well, at some point last night a beer bottle got spilled on my 13' Macbook Pro. I think it was the cat since it wasn't like that when I went to sleep. It was on and plugged in. It won't start up now, but the white light on the bottom right will come on and stay on... not sure what that entails. I opened the bottom and don't see any damage. Not sure what to do next... only have had it for a month or two. Thanks for any help.

kaduce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Not what I wanted to hear. ha. I was hoping the white light was promising.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I would disassemble the machine to clean and dry it!
It worked as a charm for mine when I spilled in it awhile back!

DO NOT try to turn it on in any case the next couple of days, regardless of what you do!

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
DO NOT try to turn it on in any case the next couple of days, regardless of what you do!

Way too late for that. Any short in the circuit already happened since it was on and running when the spill happened. Letting it dry out isn't going to magically restore it at this point.

If the light comes on, it means that the DC in board is OK. That leaves you with MLB as the issue and hopefully that computer was insured since that repair is about $900 plus labor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers man.

While the odds are high that something did short out, letting it dry out w/o the battery and AC couldn't hurt but as others have stated. Its probably going to cost you :(

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
You think the cat "knocked it over"? We all know kitteh "poured" the beer on your computer. Can't you see? He is systematically cutting all of your communication to the outside world. You'll likely find your phone line cut when you return home. Keep your cellular at your side, be aware, and don't let kitteh know you suspect anything. Do this, and you dramatically increase your chances of survival.

Cat knocked it over...so naive.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Letting it dry without it getting the logic board fixed is pointless. In the off chance that it does work again in a week, it'll just die again in 3 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.