spilled beer on my rMBP...ughhh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rick snagwell, Sep 11, 2015.

1. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

so i spilled the beer right on the keyboard, immed turned upside down and dried it out. and powered down. today the keys are so sticky they dont even move, yet everything works fine. what can i do to make the keys not stick anymore??!!

thanks

trackpad works perfect.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Clean them (difficult if not impossible without risk of or causing actual damage), or replace the keyboard.

3. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i ordered a pentalobe screwdriver to take the unit apart and try and get to the keyboard and clean it....is that what you mean?

or is there another way to 'clean' them?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You can pop the keys off from the top, then try to remove the inevitable sticky residue that way but not all the keys may refit correctly and/or the amount of cleaning fluid may cause other problems.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I'd be surprised if it were completely dried. Also, unless it's taken apart and had its parts put through an ultrasonic cleaning, you'll probably experience some sort of corrosion-related issue down the road, being dried notwithstanding.

6. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Depends on the amount of beer he spilled and how fast he turned his rMBP. The keyboard backlight is glued in and can be a good protection to the internals in case he did not spill a lot of liquid.

This being said, your approach would be the correct and safe one.

7. dsmedic10 macrumors member

As an aside, would Apple Care cover this type of problem (spilled fluid on keyboard)?

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

No they would not cover it. They only cover hardware manufacture defects failure, not user damage.

9. Ian.C macrumors regular

Best thing to do is open the back cover and look inside.

Beer has a large sugar contact and will corrode any electrically component that it touches over time.

I would replace the whole keyboard and check the trackpad for signs of beer.

Check the logic board for any signs of liquid spillage as well. And if found clean it with a soft toothbrush and 99% alcohol