Spilled Cider on MacbookPro with Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brittanygv, May 9, 2014.

1. brittanygv macrumors newbie

Hello,

So about 15 minutes ago, I spilled Hard Apple Cider on the left speaker of my Macbook Pro with retina display. The total quantity was about the 2 inches in diameter. It took me about 10 seconds to get a towel and wipe it off, another 10 seconds to close out apps and turn off the computer, and another 10 seconds to turn it upside down. Since there really isn't a way to release liquid from the unibody, I figured turning it over was the best option since it landed on the speakers to begin with.

I have not touched it since then and I plan to leave it off and in this position for at least 48 hours.

Any other suggestions? Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

My advice is put it in some rice. That's all you can really do. Don't worry about it. Whatever is going to happen from this will happen from this. All you can do is try the rice route and hope for the best.

If I was you, I'd grab another glass of cider and relax. (this time keep it away from the MBPr.)

3. brittanygv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. That's actually exactly what I did haha

Hope it will be ok. Don't want to have to shell out the money for a new one.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Not likely! The chances it works are high as people have done much worse and have gotten away with no problems.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You may want to open the laptop up and clean it out, but it does sound like you go most of it before it seeped in.

6. Crugga macrumors regular

You should be insured under house contents insurance if it dies. Amazes me how many people dont even consider claiming but they are there to insure our stupidity.
    Ive had a laptop with a coffee spilt on it replaced and an iphone that ended up in the washing machine replaced.
    Ofcourse you might be ok here, just be patient, as above though might be worth trying to clean it as cider will dry like pure sugar, I presume isopropyl alcohol might be a good thing to try.

7. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

An even better method than rice would be to put it next to a dehumidifier if you have one I think.

8. brittanygv thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

It works!!!!

Turned it on today (about 40 hours after accident) and everything is fine. The speakers are not "scratchy", the sound is great, and more importantly, the system is operating perfectly.

Thank you so much to everyone who offered advice in my time of panic.

I hope you all have a great day :)

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68020