Spilled Coconut Oil on Late 2013 MBPr '15 Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NoFlame, Dec 30, 2014.

1. NoFlame macrumors newbie

Hi, so in a tragic turn of events I spilled coconut oil on my MBPr Keyboard. Ever since the incident my keys have been less responsive, especially when the MBPr is cold thus making the coconut oil solid. As the MBPr warms up however responsiveness partially returns but not quite at the level it would be at if there was no spillage.

I took my MBPr to the genius bar and they ruled it as liquid damage. Now while that is a valid diagnosis the only thing malfunctioning are several keys on the keyboard. After some research I concluded that coconut oil is not conductive so it shouldn't cause any future electrical issues. The main problem once again is the little bit of Coconut trapped inside the little gel/plastic button sensor. The standard price for a liquid damage repair is around $1300 but I know that all my laptop really needs is a new keyboard which would be about $400.

This being the case what do you guys recommend I do to perhaps clean the inside of my MBPr keyboard or does anyone know where I might be able to get just the keyboard fixed (I am aware the speakers and trackpad are all connected to the keyboard). Apple protocol forces them to replace all the hardware in the laptop for $1300 when I know for a fact that isn't necessary. So what do you all think the best course of action is?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If that happened to me, I would be buying a new or used (same year) computer. I can't see spending $1300.00 for repairs.

You could try taking the short route. However, what appears to be ok now could end up being a lot worse later on. I wouldn't want that always looming over me every time I turned on the computer.

3. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

You could flush it with 99% Isopropyl alcohol. Just keep a fire extinguisher handy, just in case, and let it dry thoroughly before attempting to turn it back on.

4. hermagerd macrumors newbie

I guess you have already tried to take away the affected keys and cleaning them as well as the area beneath them? I have a sticky space key which i have cleaned several times, but after some days it's magically sticky again, so it's not a guaranteed fix but its free and worth a try :)

5. NoFlame thread starter macrumors newbie

I have all the keys off except for the ones with metal bars right now, I think I'm about to try the isopropyl alcohol and see how that does. Thanks for all the responses by the way.

6. hermagerd macrumors newbie

The metal bar keys comes off quite easy as well, but I've never been more happy about my child size fingers as when i had to put them back.. Good luck, hope it works ot well!

7. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Coconut oil? That is a first! I have never heard of that before.

8. tresmith macrumors 6502

and begs the question...what was he doing with said coconut oil? :rolleyes:

9. NoFlame thread starter macrumors newbie

I went over all the keys with the Isopropyl alcohol and I am noticing a slight improvement, but nothing like what I hoped for.

10. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

If he didn't cook using his MacBook I only have one other guess :cool:

11. NoFlame thread starter macrumors newbie

12. hermagerd macrumors newbie

"Coconut oil"...

But like I said i think there is something more to it, since my keys as well did not get completely fine even after several cleanings. It looks like different layers underneath the key, is it possible to damage the metal cord under the transparent plastic layer, and thus making the key less responsive? Is your keys sticky and not feeling right, or is it a matter of not giving input when you press them?

13. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

so unfortunate that you had this accident. however, based from my experience repairing computers at work, once you have a liquid spillage, regardless of what kind, the likelihood of not damaging internal components is not that great - sometimes you get lucky if you immediately wipe/let it dry out for a few days to remove moisture but most of the time there is no recourse but to accept the fact that your unit is a goner (unless of course you are willing to pay the steep price). sadly that is the reality. good luck.

14. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I spilled a splash of coke on my 2013 MBAir in November 2013.

Laptop worked... with sticky keys and dimmed backlighting in spots. I took it to a local Apple authorized shop and they removed the keyboard, cleaned drops of Coke that had dried on some chips that were on the logic board, and replaced the keyboard.

Cost me a total of $400.

They told me "it could one day just die on you, you never know." That was 14 months ago... no issues so far.

I now use a keyboard overlay and don't keep drinks on my desk.

15. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I can understand that this is easy to happen, MacOs comes included with recepies for cookies.

Nerds shouldn't cook.

16. newellj macrumors 601

Honestly, for this to work I think you would either have to completely disassemble the keyboard and other affected parts and fully flush them or (don't do this, I mention this only for purposes of illustration) completely immerse the machine in alcohol.

There are "safe" electrical contact cleaners that might work, but again I think you'd literally have to flood the machine to reach all of the oil and get it completely flushed out of the machine.

17. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Yep... that's why I did what I did with mine. Alcohol made for a VERY slight improvement, but nothing compared to what a new keyboard did.

I got the logic board cleaned at the same time.

All things considered, I got super lucky. Even the tech said that... LOL

18. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Holy Smokes! What are all the uses for coconut oil????

19. thewap, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

The standard price for a liquid damage repair is around $1300 but I know that all my laptop really needs is a new keyboard which would be about $400.

This being the case what do you guys recommend I do to perhaps clean the inside of my MBPr keyboard or does anyone know where I might be able to get just the keyboard fixed (I am aware the speakers and trackpad are all connected to the keyboard). Apple protocol forces them to replace all the hardware in the laptop for $1300 when I know for a fact that isn't necessary. So what do you all think the best course of action is?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it is not as simple as *just getting the keyboard fixed* on the non-servicable retinas and modern MBP.

Replacing the keyboard entails complete disassembly of internals including the motherboard. The battery modules also need to be removed which is no easy task as they are glued (with excessive glue) and cover the trackpad cable which is certain to break if attempting to unglue the batteries. So yes, keyboard malfunction (in apple terminology ie "liquid damage") = $1,000 + repair - and other components may also have been compromised or will be in the long run- faulty ram? $1,000 + repair (sorry they are soldered), faulty headphone jack? $1,000 + repair (they are soldered), faulty HDD? - non-std proprietary PCIe HDD - but at least has it's own board, and on..

IMO trying to have a home remedy for repairing anything on the retinas is basically in the realm of 0.

On a lighter note, Apple should have a *no coconut oil near computer* sticker ,to prevent prevent coconut oil *mishaps* :D

20. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Thai curry... and...oiling your coconuts?:eek:

21. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

ARGH, I just poked my mind's eye out!

22. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Hm, didn't know that. Makes me feel better about buying a new computer last year after I had a lot of issues from spilling Doctor Pepper on my computer... *wince*

Now I have a keyboard protector and keep liquids away from it. :p