Spilled coffee on MBA, fixed it for $39

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by morlium, Sep 24, 2009.

1. morlium macrumors regular

Hi guys. A few weeks ago I spilled coffee on my rev A MBA and fried it. Apple wanted $750 to repair it, so I set out to fix it myself. Here's my story.
    Enjoy!

2. Gadgetman99 macrumors regular

Great story! It is very satisfying to correct an issue yourself, rather then paying someone 20 times more.

3. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

In my experience, higher quality coffee does less damage -- for computers and people. If you spilled coffee with those "flavor crystals" you would have been hosed.

But, seriously, congrats. And well done.

4. morlium thread starter macrumors regular

5. hamzab macrumors 6502

6. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I wish I had seen this before I sent my son's MacBook in for repair. My son too had a spill onto the keyboard, although his spill was an "adult beverage" whilst a group of his fraternity brothers and their dates were drinking in his room. :cool: Luckily for me, the repair Genius at the local Apple store is a bud from way back who knew where to find the parts BEFORE sending it to Apple.
    If it happens again, I will have at it with my set of miniature screw drivers! Thanks for the article, you have given me the nerve to try it next time. After all, I have assembled multiple AR-15 lower receivers, and that is a huge bag of tiny pins and springs.:)