Spilled cranberry juice on macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ol3s, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

So I spilled cranberry juice on my macbook, I quickly turned it off and cleaned the mess. One problem I am having however is that I think the cranberry juice leaked in and its making buttons work more slowly, and making my touchpad click more quietly. So my question is, is there anyway to get rid of the cranberry juice inside?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Take apart your top case and clean it with a toothbrush and some diluted ethanol.

3. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Just hope it doesn't start to corrode the boards.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The boards aren't going to corrode, the component leads are the first to go.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

What a cheapskate. You could've at least bought it a cranberry juice w/vodka.

6. Ol3s thread starter macrumors regular

Ol3s

I'm fifteen. Okay, it seems no cranberry juice got anywhere but the spacebar is slow when i press it. When i take it (the actual key) off and put it back on it clicks normally for a while, but then becomes slow again (if anyone's unclear, I mean slow to lift off compared to other keys).

7. A.list.face macrumors newbie

I spilled strawberry Crystal Light on my coffee table and my 07 Macbook sucked it up through the back vents like a vacuum cleaner. I took the key board bezel off and immediately snapped a photo (to make sure I reassemble correctly). I removed the S-drive, logic-board, and everything else. I went over every component with q-tips soaked in alcohol. There was red residue on everything! After three hours of meticulous cleaning I reassembled and it fired right up. Haven't had a problem since. This was over a year ago.:)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Cranberry is good for your kidneys not your macbook.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...make sure the insides are completely dry before you turn it back on... put it in a plastic box/bag with some silica packets to remove the moisture (or large grain uncooked rice if you don't have the silica packets - just make sure the rice doesn't get stuck inside the machine also, maybe use a fine mesh bad for the rice)... good luck.

10. Jaffa Cakes! macrumors newbie

I did this once with some juice, quickly turned it off, held it upside down so the keyboard was facing down while I took the battery out and then used a towel to dry all the residue off the top. I them removed the keyboard and luckily none had gone past the keyboard! All I had to do was remove every key, clean it with some moist paper towels to get rid of the sticky stuff and it all worked fine ever since! (I left it powered off for a few days to make sure it was ACTUALLY dry).

You should be fine :)

11. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

Isn't that going to void the warranty, taking it apart like that, to make the little stickers inside change colour to show wetness got into it?

12. Jaffa Cakes! macrumors newbie

On mine, it didn't get far enough to touch those metal strips (I think anyway!)

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Spilling cranberry juice most likely already voided the warranty.

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

A toothbrush and ethanol are only going to get rid of huge chunks of conductive nonsense that may be in the machine. What it really needs is an ultrasonic cleaning in a chemical bath consisting of distilled water and an ammonia based cleaner that lacks cations/anions or substances with a positive/negative charge

15. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

three years ago someone spilt half a bottle of coke into the keyboard of my powerbook and I was as worried as you are. The immediate steps I took were:

1. Pull out the battery
    2. turn upside down
    3. Leave on top of a radiator (still upside down)
    4. Left it there for about 2 weeks

When I used the laptop next, I noticed that the keyboard had become very sticky, with some keys not returning after being pressed. I popped a couple of the worst ones off and cleaned them with water, then dried them and replaced them.

I was told here at the time that my laptop was done for, and that the acids in the coke would eventually eat their way through the computer, but the unit still works great now (minus a couple of issues that could have happened anyway to a 5 year old computer!).

If it happened to me again, I would follow a similar process. I have been told that running distilled water through the laptop is good to rinse out any acidic/sticky liquid, but I can't see how this would really make things any better.

Good luck

16. Ol3s thread starter macrumors regular

Ol3s

The thing is, I don't think any cranberry juice got in because I took out the spacebar, and there is no sign of red anywhere. The problem is that 1) my touchpad often becomes unresponsive unless I press hard and 2) the spacebar becomes slow, as if something sticky is holding it down, while there is nothing, I checked, weirder yet, if I take my spacebar out and put it back in it works fine for a few hours, and then the key starts to seem as if it's being held back.