Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenjaminRoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
My brother spilled some diet coke on my 5 months old 13-inch macbook pro retina. It went all over the right half of the keybord and I think some went into the fan behind the screen too. I immediately turned it off and dried it as well as I could with paper towels. Then I left it open and let it lay upside down.

I was wondering what my next steps should be. Should I attempt to remove the battery since I can't go anywhere with the computer now to get it fixed since it's Saturday evening. Also should I wait for it to dry for 48 hours before moving it to get it fixed?

Lastly I was wondering if there is any hope that it is still ok?
What is the most likely result.
Do you think I have to replace the keyboard and/or motherboard or do you think it is completely ruined?

Have you ever heard of anyone who had the same accident (with diet coke/coke) and it didn't completely destroy the computer?

Please excuse my English. It is not my first language.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
My brother spilled some diet coke on my 5 months old 13-inch macbook pro retina. It went all over the right half of the keybord and I think some went into the fan behind the screen too. I immediately turned it off and dried it as well as I could with paper towels. Then I left it open and let it lay upside down.

I was wondering what my next steps should be. Should I attempt to remove the battery since I can't go anywhere with the computer now to get it fixed since it's Saturday evening. Also should I wait for it to dry for 48 hours before moving it to get it fixed?

Lastly I was wondering if there is any hope that it is still ok?
What is the most likely result.
Do you think I have to replace the keyboard and/or motherboard or do you think it is completely ruined?

Have you ever heard of anyone who had the same accident (with diet coke/coke) and it didn't completely destroy the computer?

Please excuse my English. It is not my first language.

Considering how coke/diet coke has sugar and acid in it, my main worry would be to tear it open and try to see where the coke has gotten into. If you can clean it off, you should be able to get it off before it corrodes the connections on the motherboard. Since you've seemingly acted quickly and inverted it, it's possible that the damage will be localized to the keyboard (with a heavy emphasis on "possible"). I think if you Google around you should be able to find info on suitable cleaning products for circuit boards.

If I were you though, I'd brace myself for a possible worst-case scenario. :(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You need to stop corrosion fast. Sugar, acids, water ... You should open that up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.