Spilled drink on Touch. My bad. Now what?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by imgonephishin, Dec 30, 2007.

1. imgonephishin macrumors regular

OK, please spare me all of the Nelson "Ha Ha"s, no matter how deserved they may be. :eek:

Last night, I sort of knocked over a drink on my desk. And my Touch was sort of laying there and sort of got a little splash of the drink (gin and grapefruit juice, try it sometime). It really wasn't that much that got on the Touch. Just a few drops in the connector area. Well, I've learned my lesson of having alcoholic drinks lying near my Touch. I quickly cleaned it off and got some compressed air to blow into the connector and headphone jack to dry it out. Fired it up and the thing worked fine--PHEW! Unfortunately, when I went to try my Touch this morning, all it showed was the little 'connect to computer' icon on the screen. iTunes informed me that the iPod had to be restored. Well, shucks. I had it jailbroken and a bunch of stuff on there, but nothing that couldn't be replaced. So, I went through the whole restore process. Tried it out and everything looked fine. Now, though, whenever I turn it on, the main screen does that little spinning dial thing in the middle of the screen for a few seconds, then the screen goes dim, then it brightens up and does the same thing again. I can't get my iMac to recognize it now when it's plugged in. I've seen a couple other posts in the forums about the iPT/iPhone continuously restarting after dropping in water, but never seen any recommendations of what to do about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions/commiserations or should I just cross my fingers and wait it out? Maybe I'll just be using my Christmas money for a less exciting use than I had expected and get a replacement:D. Thanks for any help.

P.S. The wetness indicator in the headphone jack did indeed turn half-red (looking at it makes me feel like I just found out I'm pregnant), so that effectively rules any warranty possibility from Apple.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Dear Steve Jobs,

Pretty please fix my Touch for me, or at least release some super cool ultra-portable at MW that I can spend my money on to ease the pain.

Thanks,
    imgonephishin

Side note: When I connect the Touch to my computer, it now shows up in iTunes. But meanwhile, it's constantly doing the restarting thing while connected. What's strange, though, is that I copied music over and was able to play it directly from the Touch without skipping, despite that the unit itself was restarting every five seconds or so.

4. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

There's a wetness indicator on the iPod Touch?! :eek:

How nifty, especially who those who use it for pr0n...
    [​IMG](You know who you are.)[​IMG] ;)

Anyways, I hope things work out for you. Please remember to use protection next time.

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Here's the culprit:

[​IMG]

its the little thing at the end of the headphone jack.

6. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Wetness Indicator

Jasonbot is right. Here's a snap of my spoiled indicator. Maybe instead it means that my iPod is pregnant and will pop out a new one soon. Perhaps I won't have to plunk down another $400 to replace it :D

Attached Files:

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Yeah if you send it in to apple, they will give that Touch an abortion and tell you to pay up to get it repaired.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

That is why my Touch is in this:

[​IMG]

The Defender by Otterbox. It was worth the $29

9. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Can you say chunky! :eek:

10. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

P.S. The wetness indicator in the headphone jack did indeed turn half-red (looking at it makes me feel like I just found out I'm pregnant), so that effectively rules any warranty possibility from Apple.

Haha, thanks man, that was hilarious.

11. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

How responsive is the touch screen through the covering? I'd consider one of those down the road.

Of course, this really doesn't help the matter at hand ;) (unless you have a time machine, in which case I'll happily plunk down the 30 greenbacks and slap one of those covers on right before the spill).

12. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

strangely enough that's what my iPod touch did after I messed up installer. Have you tried turning it off,closing iTunes.
    hold down the home button and connect it.
    restore mode will be activated.
    restart iTunes
    try a restore to 1.1.2
    see how things go

13. dagored macrumors 65816

It is a little different. The Defender screen hovers, for lack of a better term, over the Touch. ever so slightly. It took me a day to get used to it. Not a problem now. The home button needs pressed a tad harder, but everything is covered.

This cover is not for everyone. I like the better grip. I had an iClear and it scared me because is was so slippery. I have no worries with this. I also bought the armband they make to take it to the gym. Just a happy customer.

14. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, all of the weird restarting is still going on after I did the full restore to 1.1.2. When it restarts, I have about 2 seconds after the screen brightens up before the dial starts spinning again and it restarts. The Touch apparently has full functionality in that span. I can launch Safari, calc, calendar, etc... but then it freezes after just a second and starts over. This makes me wonder if the wi-fi is fragged and when it tries to start loading that it freezes. (sort of how before the accident, when I'd turn on the Touch and go straight to a web page, the wi-fi wouldn't be on yet. It takes a few seconds. Maybe that's what's happening here--it can't successfully start wi-fi and freezes. Thoughts anyone?)

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Apple might repair it for you for $150 or so... people who break their screens have been offered that service, I believe. Not a great deal, but better than $300-400 for a new one. :(

16. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

is there a cleaner that they make for the ipod touch, or for any other ipods? you could use it and say it dripped in there. Maybe they'll be understanding, or you can hope you get someone really nice

17. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Apple does not produce any cleaners directly.

18. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

alternatively: black paint, small paintbrush...

19. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

How do you guys get all these shady ideas :O

20. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Haha. Thanks for the suggestions. I did hear someone say that a little bleach on a Q-Tip can switch the color back. But I'm not really that interested in trying to scam Apple. It was my own dumb fault. I'm just more curious if anyone can think of any ideas to get it working again.

I remember with my old 1st gen iPod that I replaced the battery myself and getting it open was pretty simple. If I can't find any way to get this working, I might resort to that as a last ditch effort. Has anyone seen some instructions on opening the Touch? Here's hoping it doesn't come to that.

21. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Update to the story

So, this morning has been 3 days since I spilled the drink on my Touch. I've had it sitting in a zip-lock bag with a desiccant bag (from a shoebox) for the last two days. I tried booting it up this morning and it was doing the same constantly restarting thing. I figured the logic board was fried. As a last ditch effort I downloaded 1.1.1 and restored to that instead of 1.1.2. Lo and behold, IT WORKS! I was so excited about it working that I didn't want to push my luck and fire up the wi-fi yet.

I'm guessing the earlier problems weren't 1.1.2 specific but just that there had been a problem while restoring the Touch the first time. I put it back in the desiccant bag for a couple more hours and I'm going to fire it up for the full test run. Fingers crossed. I'll keep everyone posted if I run into any problems.

22. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wow! Who would've thought that would work... congrats!

23. delude macrumors 6502

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

My old iPod got rained on (don't ask) and it took, literally, three weeks or so for the touch-wheel to begin functioning again. The electronics just have to dry out completely.

Ironically, I bought the iPod touch during that time since I figured my old 4th gen was dead. Imagine my surprise when it worked fine a month later.

25. rocktofakie3 macrumors member

this is going to sound like bs but......

I have HEARD that if you turn the item off and soak it in water to get the sticky/salt water stuff out then in you're case use hot air/air thing you have......BUT that was also for cellphine with take out battery but you cant do that with the iPod touch.. And that is in salt water like the iPod but it might be to late to do that now......

P.S you can googe it