Spilled FRESCA on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KatieBeth, Oct 1, 2008.

1. KatieBeth macrumors newbie

I am freaking out! Yesterday afternoon I spilled about 2 tablespoons of fresca on my macbook! My computer was on and closed when it happened and it looked like there was hardly any wetness on it. I immediately pressed the power button to turn it off and wipe off the very small amount of liquid. Well, now it wont even turn on and the power cord flickers orange and light green when I plug it in.

I called a local computer repair shop that works on macs and I dropped it off there. Apparently they were opening the entire computer to clean it and prevent corosion...and *hopefully* fix it. I feel like I have a baby in the hospital!!! When I called the computer shop to check on it he said he could notice a small amount of water damage in the upper left corner.

Did I completely ruin my computer by trying to turn it on or is there still some hope? Please help I don't know what to do!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

"Did I completely ruin my computer by trying to turn it on (...)?"

Maybe.

Maybe not, depends on where the Fresca (?) went.

My iBook's display got filled with water, but it still works after three years since the accident happened, I just have a nice aquaesque display now.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, other than to say I am sorry to hear that it happened (and a future lesson learned I would imagine) I'm not quite sure that we can give you any help.

You did a good thing by getting it in the shop right away so that any damage might be minimized- but depending on the actual amount of liquid that entered the interior, trying to restart it right way was probably not the best thing.

For future reference (though I hope you are never faced with this again) should something be spilled into the machine get the battery out of it first! You want no powered up circuits at all with liquid invasion. Most people that have posted here in other threads have recommended letting it dry for at least two days before trying to power it up again as trying it again right away can be a disaster- but not always so don't give up hope. ;) It all depends on how much really got all the way in and what circuits it got on.

Hopefully your quick action of getting it in to be looked at (since they will pop the case, making it easier for any liquid to evaporate and be cleaned off) will have been helpful.

Good luck!:)

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

5. PhillyXJ macrumors newbie

In high school I would only mix my alcohol with fresca because it was the most suspicous drink that no one drinks so everyone in the know would know I was piss drunk if I was holding a fresca... great with lime, lemon, citrus, and raspberry vodka... even tattoo rum..

shame you spilled fresca on your macbook though, because fresca is so damn good it's worth every ****ing drop!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you said you it was on, but the lid was closed, I'm guessing you opened the display to shut it off? Or was it already asleep? Either way the best way would have been to disconnect the power cord and take out the battery, but it's too late for that now. Next time keep liquids away!

How is this relevant to the thread at all? :confused:

7. KatieBeth thread starter macrumors newbie

in response to "who drinks fresca"

I never do! But I just tried the new black cherry and it's delicious...too bad I can't drink it without thinking of my accident :(

The repair shop is supposed to call me tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

anyone notice a new "i spilled ____" on my MB threads pop up like once a day???

my condolences.

9. KatieBeth thread starter macrumors newbie

10. spenc247 macrumors newbie

3 days ago i spilt 12oz of Mountain Dew on my MACBOOK and as soon as i did that i turned it off and wiped it off, and held it under a fan for two days, and sometime would try turning it on than turning it back off, and it would turn on, but not the screen,...i recently have taken the battery out and have taken a blow-dryer to it and it is currently sitting in a TEEPEE stand with a fan blowing on it...(i havent tried turning it on for awhile) i kno its most likely water damage, but if anybody knows more about this please please let me know what I can do now

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Good thing you spilled Fresca then, just imagine what would have happened if you had spilled 7 Up on it! :D Just kidding, but glad to hear your MacBook survived.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Since the computer survived I'll refrain from posting anything helpful and just ask ... are you seriously telling us you know for certain that exactly 2 tablespoons of Fresca spilled? Did you measure a can of Fresca and find out that the opened can that spilled was absent of exactly 2 tablespoons?

13. Jpoon macrumors 6502

This is why we keep drinks and food at least a couple of feet away from notebooks... hehe