Spilled Gatorade on Macbook Pro. HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aboukis, Aug 23, 2012.

1. aboukis macrumors newbie

so last night i had some friends over to my dorm room and one girl knocked over a gatorade and it spilled all over my brand new macbook pro. it was turned on at the time and open and it spilled all over the keyboard. i quickly cleaned up the spill and shut it down and let it sit on its side all night in hope the liquid would drain out. i just started it up and it works fine but the only thing im worried about is the life of the computer. im a student and just bought it 4 days ago and spent a lot of cash, the girl said she would buy me a new one if it broke and its working now but i feel like the internals are gonna be dead way quicker than if it didnt have gatorade inside. so anyways, to get to the point, im thinking i have 2 options. the first is to take it in, say it has some fault in it and hope that they give me a new computer for free. or if that doesnt work just make her buy me a new one. can you guys please give me some info i may need to know about liquid damage, and what are my chances of getting a new computer?

2. LeeM macrumors 6502a

make her buy you a new one, sell the current one, profit.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Should have let it sit days before turning on.

Its probably only a matter of time before components fry now if its still moist inside.

Next time, put away expensive stuff before people ruin or steal it. Kind of common sense imo.

4. Laco macrumors 6502

Applecare does not cover accidental damage. Under this scenario I think it is very unlikely that they will give you a new computer. However it is quite possible that your computer is fine. I spilled some water on my laptop on my Macbook 4 years ago and it still works perfectly.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Does she have any idea how expensive they are? I can't imagine a student having several thou to drop just like that, even if she claims she'll pay for it.

I would take it to Apple or an AASP and see what they find when you ask them to check it out. They are going to see liquid residue/ submergence indicators being set off if they open it, so making a story up would be a bad idea. You could either play dumb, or just straight up mention you had a spillage and would like the internals to be checked out. There's a chance it can be cleaned with alcohol.

6. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Did you believe her??? Don't be naive!

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Human nature, in one form or another, trumps common sense every time. Otherwise the S&L Scandal of 1987 would not have been deemed "history's worst"... :(

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Ah, College...

This story really takes me back... :p

I hope that the girl will follow through because I think you could be facing a pricey repair/replacement. If other people witnessed the event, heard her accept responsibility and offer to pay for the damage, you may want to get written statements from them if you think you might have to persuade the girl to pay-up. You could wind up in small claims court and evidence is all that matters to a judge. (Ex-paralegal talking...)

Good luck!