Spilled juice on rMBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roofz, Dec 5, 2013.

1. roofz, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

roofz macrumors regular

Hey everyone
    So a week ago I accidentally spilled some juice on my 13" rMBP. It seems to be working perfectly fine, but the keys get stuck when I press them and it takes about a second for them to fully retract to their original height. Is there anything that I can do about this? Could applecare help me here?
    Thanks!

edit: the keys are sticky as in.. stuck to the laptop

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Wipe it clean with a damp cloth (NOT dripping wet) and maybe very little dish soap.

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I wouldn't put water anywhere near it - isopropyl alcohol I would use as it evaporates. After wiping off leave it off the edge of a surface like a table with the keys facing downwards for an hour or so. Repeat till stickiness subsides.

Orange juice contains sugar and is acidic so I would get it looked at professionally to see if anything has got to the logic board.

4. roofz thread starter macrumors regular

The problem isn't that the keys are sticking to my fingers, but that the individual keys get stuck when i press them which is making typing more difficult

5. Gav Mack, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Juice is underneath well and truly then which makes it very difficult and OJ is one if the worst. Apple will probably suggest a whole new top case knowing them which costs a bomb but I suggest finding an apple repairer who will change only the keyboard or at least strip out your keyboard and wash it thoroughly.

Just noticed the AppleCare bit - I know they've helped people free of charge for drinks spills before and some not, a lottery but those with the best sob story seem to be able to get it done FOC more than most.

6. roofz thread starter macrumors regular

is there anything I can do myself to alleviate the stickiness?

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

It's not easy but you asked.

You will have to remove the bottom case and disconnect the battery first and mount it on some books resting on the speakers so the keys you can access upside down. Get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, a syringe and a can of compressed air. Squirt a little isopropyl into the key top edge, press it a few times to loosen the stickiness then blow it out with the air. When all free keep it upside down and let it dry out in a warm place like an airing cupboard for 24 hours before reconnecting the power.

I would still get someone experienced to do it!