Spilled lemonade on MacBook Pro mid-2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jacobc49er, May 25, 2016.

1. Jacobc49er macrumors newbie

So yesterday I spilled lemonade on my MacBook. The lid was closed and all, but it was wet, so I removed the liquid from the outside. On screen it had three alerts saying USB devices are using too much power and are disabled. I opened the lid to see some liquid had gotten in there too near the top left corner of the keyboard and I removed it too, but maybe some got into the keyboard i don't know. I didn't see any going into the keyboard. Next I logged in and tried to plug my phone in and it wouldn't charge as it had said. The screen was flickering a little, but I think it's because the computer was saying that the ports were using too much power. When I had turned it back on with my phone plugged into the port the screen was black and it turned off, but the device was still charging for a while. Then I tried turning it on without the phone plugged in and it still wouldn't work. All it would do is make the startup sound (screen still black) and I could hear the disc reader move as it usually does. Now I have it trying to dry with a large fan pointing at it.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Unfortunately it sounds like you have moisture inside the device,

You really needed to turn it off immediately, put it in silica or rice or whatever leave in a warm place for 3-4 days minimum to make sure it's completely dry, before you boot it up again. Even then I would disassemble and clean thoroughly with 100% industrial meths to get the last of the moisture off all of the components before trying to boot it.

Repeatedly booting while it's still damp will almost certainly cause irreversible damage and corrosion.

3. Jacobc49er thread starter macrumors newbie

So I can try putting it in rice and leave it by a window?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can but you may be a little late and may well still need to disassemble and clean any corrosion etc.

There are a lot of videos on you tube for fixing water damaged macs watch a few and see what you think.

5. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Lemonade is sticky as **** when it dries and it's acidic so it's going to corrode your internals unless you get a pro to open it up and clean it for you. The sooner the better.

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Sugar and acid are a bad combination. The only thing that might save your computer is if you open and disassemble it and clean it with isopropyl alcohol - using a cotton swab or similar tool.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Looks like toast to me. Sticky lemonade, had it on for a bit, and seeing issues already. Professionals may help, but...... Do you have home/renters insurance ?

8. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Forget the rice. Corrosion is already starting. It needs to be taken apart asap, evaluated, areas cleaned with alcohol and acid brush as needed and a prayer said. It will only get worse if the above advice is not followed. Unless that was your plan, to clear the path for a 2016 rMBP ;-)