Spilled liquid on Mac Keyboard, works OK but...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samh222, Jan 5, 2014.

1. samh222 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I need some advice here, Im new to Macbook. The other day i knocked over just under a quater of a bottle of beer on the far left hand side of my keaboard. (from CAPS lock to the F button). Noticed the battery was built in so i couldnt remove it. So i unplugged, cleaned surface, turned it off and left it in a hotpress over a towel for over 48 hours. I tuned it on yesterday and all works OK!! The Keys were sticky but they work fine. Just now though, the battery wouldnt charge anymore. The power supplys green light was faded and the battery icon in the top corner showed not charging. I had a spare power supply so i plugged that in and now its charging fine! So i figured the spill might of damaged the power supply only. Then, last night, i could not connect to WIFI (i could connect though wired connection, and i could connect on my android phone). So i am wondering here, has the spill damaged the airport? And is corrosion slowly taking place? Or is the wifi issue just a coincidence and non related? And should i be worried or will my mac be OK? Its the latest model, 13 inch...

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

beer is likely to have damaged the internals already. Your warranty is gone now and you will have to pay for the repairs. Only apple will be able to tell for sure what's broken and fix it properly. It's quite possible that the logic board is toast and a new one runs several hundred dollars.

3. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

So in issues like this, when say a liquid is spilled on the Mac and even though the Machine is under warranty does Apple not give a replacement or anything ?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

pretty much no. spilling liquids voids the warranty. Why should apple replace it? It's hardly Apple's fault if you spill beer on your computer.

5. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Yeah But it is still under warranty right ? which covers all damage ??

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well,

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The warranty covers manufacturing defects. It does not over accidental damage, especially liquid spills. It also doesn't cover if you drop it.

You are confusing warranty with insurance.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Old Wiz is correct. You can find more information here.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Oh yeah sure. The other day I drove over my iMac, but as it was within warranty Apple replaced it. Then I took my iPhone swimming so I had that replaced.

To the OP, check your house contents insurance cover. You might be covered.
    And remember never drink and type!
    Good luck.