Spilled liquid on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StupidSpiller, Mar 22, 2013.

1. StupidSpiller macrumors newbie

I spilled juice on my macbook pro retina. I cleaned it up fast and turned it off and upside down. It works fine, just like normal. It doesnt seem like any liquid got down under my keys. Any advice? :(

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You'll find out soon if damage was done, the best way is to open it, get the Logic board out and clean it with isopropyl alcohol.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Liquids in electronics cause 1 long term and 1 short term problems:
    1) Electrical shorts: the minerals in the water (not the water itself) conduct electricity. This can allow electricity to "zap" something and fry the computer.

2) Corrosion: after the liquid dries it can leave behind residue. This residue can collect dust and other particles. Depending on the residue and other stuff, it can cause parts to corrode.

Number (1) is only a problem until whatever you spilled dries. That will depend on what you spilled and how much. But if it's been a while, then you probably don't have to worry about (1).

Number (2) is the long term problem. Whatever you spilled left something behind after it dried. Will that cause a problem? No way to know without taking it apart. Only then will you know what was left behind and where it was left.

4. StupidSpiller thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a mix of orange juice and champagne. I took it into the apple store today cause I was just freaking out, you know? My keys are sticky and they said I'd have to have all that replaced and it would be about £300 or they could fix themselves with wear. The guy took the back off and said it all looked okay and that it hadnt seeped all the way through and that my parts looked good but he didnt take it completely apart.

He also checked my components on my mac and they all came back okay so he told me I shouldnt be too worried about it.

My keys are soooooo sticky but I think I will wait and see how I get on before taking the time and money to get it fixed if need be.

I'm still kinda paranoid about it though.

What do you think?

Thanks for the advice guys. xx