Spilled Milk on MBP, Need Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hendersonbill, Mar 7, 2010.

1. hendersonbill macrumors newbie

Last summer my wife and I purchased a Macbook Pro that supposedly had milk spilled on it. I'm technologically inclined enough to know that it was a very good deal. So we bought it to be used as her main computer because she doesn't do much beyond managing her iPhone, Facebook, and word processing, like most College Students.

At the time I thought my Macbook was more than adequate but I've come to realize that there is a substantial difference between the two machines. I'm going to college as well for video production and I've not noticed the difference until I edited on hers while mine was in the shop. Anyway, long story short, I want to really get her computer repaired and trade her, which she's fine with she thinks my Mac is 'cuter' anyway... So I now realize this whole first little bit was unnecessary but nonetheless I'll leave it.

On to the problem. It has a few issues but functions perfectly as a desktop computer, we have a bluetooth keyboard & mouse for it. I really want to make it more mobile. But here's the list of the issues:

1) The 'o' and the '0' button do not work at all.
    2) When you first turn it on sometimes it makes the tone that button is being held down and if you put the cursor in a text box it continuously types ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo until you hit backspace on the computer then it's totally fine.
    3) It doesn't totally go to sleep. Even if it's closed you can still blatantly hear the hard drive clicking back on like you just opened it every minute or so and if you tell it to go to sleep while it's open it'll wake itself up within a minute.
    4) When it's unplugged and not off the battery lasts less than 2 hours at best with an average of about an hour.
    5) and the back lit keyboard only really glows in the middle of the keyboard supposedly where the spill occurred. The other keys do glow but not nearly as bright.

I think that's about it. As you can see it has some issues nothing too major but annoying. I was wondering is you guys had any suggestions. I've taken it to the local Apple Store and they said that I can get just the keyboard replaced for about $150 then if there's no major damage we can send it off to get the other issues fixed because it's still under warranty until next July. However with the liquid spill that voids it which I'm sure you know. But if they crack it open and it's all nasty then they won't do anything and it could cost up to $1,200 to fix which is still a much cheaper deal for a machine with the same specs. I also have a 500 GB hard drive waiting to go in this bad boy.

If you could help me at all I'd really appreciate it, it's a Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro Model A1260, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Memory, GeForce 8600 at 256 MB. Hope my descriptions where good enough I have a feeling that the milk spill has affected the logic board which is a hefty fee. And I plan on taking to to the Mac Authorized dealers here in town, like Mac Authority, to see if they'd be cheaper.

What are your suggestions? Thanks!!!

2. supham macrumors newbie

3. Moocher macrumors regular

I think you are SOL, but you could look at the tear-down videos at Macfixit.com, take it apart, and clean everything. Get a bunch of q-tips and alcohol. Maybe that will help. Maybe. No guarantee.

Mooch

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Quoted for the lulz. Seriously though this is the funniest thing i've heard all month (and it's been a pretty good month).
    Otherwise a good alcohol rub might be in order. I've heard good things about contact cleaner but never used it mahself.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Take a look at the Guide for this situation.

A soft-bristled toothbrush will work better.

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

That's not very helpful. You should only post if you have something to say.

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Get a new top case, that may solve the keyboard showing you its "O" face.

[​IMG]

8. Chromide macrumors newbie

If you want to try and get a guarantee that the computer will be fixed I highly recommend BlueRaven. They will fix multiple issues for one flat rate if I am not mistaken and are very timely and helpful.

http://www.blueraven.com/us/corporate/indexnav.aspx