Spilled mineral oil on keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Myopia, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Myopia macrumors newbie

I own a mid 2010 13" MBP.
    So about 3 days ago while I was working at a physics lab, I accidentally spilled mineral oil all over my keyboard. I know that mineral oil isn't conductive and people use it as a cooling medium for computers so I wasn't that worried. I simply had my computer upside down and let most of the oil drip down for about 20-30 minutes. After that I just cleaned up the exterior of the keyboard and tried typing. All the keys were responsive but a little...hard to type with. I had to press exactly the center of some of the keys really hard for the computer to recognize it.
    I thought this problem would slowly go away as I keep on using the keyboard but it seems to be getting progressively worse. Some letters I have to press at least 2 or 3 times (again, really hard and in the center) for it to work and this is bugging the hell out of me. Last night, I popped out the keys (as a test, I only tried this on the "a" and "s" keys) and cleaned the inside with isopropyl alcohol with a qtip (although there wasn't much to clean since the actually pressing part seemed to be in between or under 2 layers of translucent rubber cover). I let it dry overnight with a fan blowing across the keyboard, but this really didn't seem to make anything better.

I know that mbp keyboards aren't related to pressure, so I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the sensitivity but rather the pressing mechanism. I thought of taking out the keyboard from the back, but I realized you need about 5 different type of screw drivers for that, so that would be my last resort. (Well, I guess the real last resort would be to pay apple a million bucks to replace the top cover...)

I just need some thoughts on what may be wrong and advices on what to do.

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris