Spilled oil on keyboard, backlight goes...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by semicollante, Nov 23, 2009.

1. semicollante macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll admit it's stupid, but I spilled around 2 teaspoons of oil on my keyboard, I was able to get up around 1 teaspoon with a paper towel, but the rest seeped in. Lucky for me, the keyboard still works great, but the backlight is very weird.
    In the middle part, it is good, but in the left and right parts, it is much dimmer than it should be. (You know if you equally divide the keyboard into three sections). What have I damaged? If I want to replace something, should it be the keyboard or the top case?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You shouldn't have turned the computer back on.

You should've stuck it in a box of scilica gel with the lid open for a few days....

3. semicollante thread starter macrumors newbie

why? what does it do? actually , I didn't even turn it off....

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you spill stuff like that on a computer you should shut it down and take out the battery, because if you leave it on it might fry the computer. So if its still on shut it down now and take out the battery and power adaptor!

5. semicollante thread starter macrumors newbie

But it happened 4 months ago. Luckily, it hasn't fried something yet, or at least I think. I should have posted then, but I forgot. So now I really want to know which part I should get, the keyboard or the top case?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If its a UniBody the keyboard is attached to the upper case, so you'll have to buy an upper case. Or if you don't mind about the backlight you can just leave it how it is...

7. semicollante thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it isn't the unibody. It is the early 2008 one. The backlight do kind of bug me though. so which part have i damaged?

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If all they keys and everything else works normally, the backlight is screwed up a bit. I'm pretty sure you can get the keyboard and backlight replaced, or maybe just the backlight. It shouldn't cost too much. Good Luck!

9. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

This reminds me of about a week ago when i spilled half a glass of water on my trackpad and it seeped in. Immediately turned it off and got a blowdryer to dry it out. Worked an hour later =]

10. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Just out of curiosity...how did you manage to spill two teaspoons of oil on your computer?

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, and was it cooking oil or engine oil lol?

12. semicollante thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, it was vitamin e oil for my nails...

Thank you so much! Do you know where I might be able to get the backlight? Or is it too tricky? I could get a whole keyboard if it is.

13. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Many oils are non-conductive, so everyone should stop freaking out. Silica and rice isn't going to do anything either... it's oil...

My best guess is that the oil is covering one of the LED's that light the keyboard. It's not going to be easy, but the best way fix it is to tear the whole laptop apart down to the keyboard and soak up the oil as best as possible with a paper towel. I wouldn't worry about it that much though. That little bit of oil will likely never go any farther.

You just have an ultra lubricated keyboard now.

I'm not sure what Vitamin E oil comes from... but Mineral oil can be used around electronics... In fact, here's a computer that uses mineral oil to keep it cool... and the large transformers for power stations use mineral oil for coolant as well.

Sometimes, the people here freak out too easily... Put it in silica... Haha...

Also, I just read that it wasn't a Unibody. mrsir2009 is probably correct with the fact that you can get a keyboard relatively cheap. Really, it's just like any other laptop keyboard except it has a back light. It will be difficult to clean up the oil on that keyboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SD-Keyboard...mQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item439b12efc8

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it unless it really bothers you or it breaks later on. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

14. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Wow, that video was cool, I didn't know people use mineral oil to cool electronics like that!

I hope you get your backlight back!

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think you can get just the backlight, but you can get pretty cheap keyboards off eBay for the MBP. As far as I know the keyboard can be clicked out, so its not too hard. If it is you could get someone to do it in an Apple shop for a small fee (or for free if they're nice:D)

Or, you could click the keyboard out and try clean the oil off the inside of the keyboard to see if it makes a difference...

Good Luck!

16. semicollante thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple genius bars might actually do it for me? That sounds too good to be true if it is free. Isn't it against the store policy? Thanks, everyone. I'll try to disassemble it myself, and let everyone know how it goes. I am also upgrading ram from 2GB to 4GB..

17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

This overlooks the problem of non-conductive liquids loosening all of the little conductive substances and pieces of gunk that sit on the keyboard and transporting them to places they should not be in.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah that does seem too good to be true... They might not do it for free because it was not under normal conditions... Your computer isn't still under AppleCare by any chance is it?